Home U.S. Coin Forum

The SoCalled Dollar market is still alive and well.

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was underbidder tonight on one of the most difficult SoCalled Dollar issues to find, even in circulated condition since the white metal composition is so delicate and susceptible to storage environment that wasn't carefully controlled.
This 1853 Type I Crystal Palace Dollar (HK-6) is one of 3 different designs issued during the First International Exposition in America, which was largely forgotten with national attention turning to the War between the States less than a decade later, and the fact that this magnificent structure in New York City burned to the ground shortly after the Expo concluded. This medal brought nearly twice what I paid for a nicer example 10 years ago, well before the revision of H & K.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roughly $850! Youch! Stack's sold one in 2010 for $1300, but $500 is much more reasonable for this medal.

I wonder what my bronze gilt version would sell for? image

imageimage
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Roughly $850! Youch! Stack's sold one in 2010 for $1300, but $500 is much more reasonable for this medal.

I wonder what my bronze gilt version would sell for? image

imageimage >>

Probably a hellalot more than my white metal example, and you know the quality of the piece compared to the one that sold tonight. There are some deep pocketed exonumia collectors. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file