Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

For Those Interested - Re: PSA Slabs & Frosting

So I took a nice, relaxing drive down to PSA today, to get two of my favorite cards re-holdered: a 52T and 56T Mantle.

I had previously had the 52 reviewed for a .5 bump (no dice there, of course), so I knew it was a legit card. Yet it had a mild scuff on the holder and some scattered spots of frosting in places along the slab edges, which just bothered me. There was one patch of frosting on the 56. Whether due to some rough handling or attempted tampering prior to my ownership, I have no idea.

I know some collectors out there are borderline OCD types, like me, and likely get concerned when seeing a patch of frosting, immediately fearing something nefarious is afoot.

For anyone interested, I had an informative talk about the subject with the folks at PSA. The upshot: some frosting does not at all mean the case was cracked and resealed. In fact, right after my cards were hot off the press and re-holdered, there was a natural frosted touch in the same spot on both slabs; this is present on many of my other slabs, and is sometimes just a byproduct of the sealing process. I was told a great indicator of foul play and a compromised, resealed slab is to VERY gently twist or bend the holder in both directions; it should be quite rigid with little flex or play.

Most importantly, I was told that "scattered" frosting is not what to look for in a compromised slab, but rather a "continuous" line of frosting across a large stretch of the slab, either an entire side or corner and part of a side.

Anyways, while I am sure many of the more experienced collectors out there know this, some might find it noteworthy.

I always knew about frosting being indicative of a compromised slab, but it's easy to take it to a crazy degree-- and thus good to temper any sight of frosting with this knowledge from PSA.

Comments