Stacks/Bowers Baltimore Lot Viewing Now Available

ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
link.
Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is interesting: 1885-CC Morgan MS67 GSA
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at their lots for 30 minutes and found nothing that I wanted to bid on.image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacks/Bowers Baltimore Lot Viewing Now Available

Proof that JK is making things happen already. Stud. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stacks/Bowers Baltimore Lot Viewing Now Available

Proof that JK is making things happen already. Stud. MJ >>

No, it just proves that all the whining TDN started over the weekend, about the sale not being posted, actually worked.

Of course, this will just encourage all of us to whine even more next time when SB doesn't post the sale image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Nothing I "need" this time, but hey maybe there is something I want. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I looked at their lots for 30 minutes and found nothing that I wanted to bid on.image >>

I was looking at this ultra-rarity:
    1877 Trade Dollar. Proof-65 Cameo (PCGS). CAC.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, rarities night in the silver commems is living up to its name. Several proof commems are in this session that haven't seen the light of day for a very long time (Grant Star sandblast proof, Maryland Matte Proof, yowza!). And beautifully colored commems all over the place. I'm impressed, and very much looking forward to lot viewing.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, rarities night in the silver commems is living up to its name. Several proof commems are in this session that haven't seen the light of day for a very long time (Grant Star sandblast proof, Maryland Matte Proof, yowza!). And beautifully colored commems all over the place. I'm impressed, and very much looking forward to lot viewing. >>

me want!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man - who designed their web site. What a tedious way to find coins you might be interested in. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Man - who designed their web site. What a tedious way to find coins you might be interested in. image >>

JK will correct this next week.

Seriously, I look at it like a coin scavenger hunt whenever I view their on line catalog. I throw on some cargo shorts and an Indiana Jones hat and I go to work. Sometimes I feel like Magellan when I discover something I like and it's out of place. There is an entire category that I'm interested in....... in this sale that is not where one would expect to find it. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed some pretty proof gold in there. Definitely not anything I can afford though.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    This sale has yet another truckload of proof Walkers. I don't know how the market survived the last dumping of these.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacks is/was a very cool institution. Thinking about the stuff they can bring to market...as an example, they have known where the Guttag commems were since they were new. I bought some BTWs from them, from stock, in their original issue envelopes...that is Stack's own original stock envelopes from 1947 and 1948. As the kingdom has gone through all the changes of the past few years, I guess some of us are lucky they didn't bring forth some of the urban legend hoards and crash various areas of the market. If anyone could have an original bag of Gettysburgs (or whatever) I would bet on them.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Grant Star sandblast proof, Maryland Matte Proof, yowza!)

Both have been looking for a new home since the last Coinfest... Now finally dumped into an auction.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man - who designed their web site. What a tedious way to find coins you might be interested in. image >>

Where's RYK to update us with pictures of SB's latest technological advancements.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Where's RYK to update us with pictures of SB's latest technological advancements. >>

The S-B team has an army of lovely associates ready to accept your mail bids. Given the proximity of the date of the sale, air mail class is recommended. They will also accept telegrams up to 8PM two days before the auction.

• Options

<< <i>This sale has yet another truckload of proof Walkers. I don't know how the market survived the last dumping of these. >>

I hear you (thought the same thing) and I'm hoping to catch a break. I still need 4. I really didn't like 99% of these and maybe the overhang of this inventory will help make future purchases a little cheaper. I still would like a 1936 in PCGS 67. There are vitally no semi cameo's in these lots from what I can tell by the photo's. I hope to use MF's eyeballs to tell me otherwise. MJ
  • Options

<< <i>This sale has yet another truckload of proof Walkers. I don't know how the market survived the last dumping of these. >>

Yes, there is a photo of the delivery truck dropping off the Walkers.

• Options
    RYK, that ain't big enough. MJ
  • Options

<< <i>RYK, that ain't big enough. MJ >>

It made two trips. image
  • Options
    with fuel prices at 10 cents a gallon?!?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK, that ain't big enough. MJ

Here's how they really arrived, with the coins of your dreams. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>RYK, that ain't big enough. MJ >>

Is this large enough?

• Options
    Actually, that space shuttle is not a great fit. image

I hope everyone knows that despite that I post silly old photos of office workers and trucks, I actually do like S-B and bid often with them. I think Heritage has us spoiled with their superior technology, but there is a pleasant "old school" charm that comes with S-B, and I am happy that they are part of the numismatic landscape.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone find anything that peeks your interest? There's so much neat stuff I felt like a kid in a candy store. image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    I'm not in a hurry to sink that kind of money into matte proof comemmoratives, but the different finish interests me and I'd be interested in seeing their surfaces to see if they are "good coins."
  • Options
    As always, there was some cool stuff, especially in their niche of Colonial/Americana. A few nice gold coins, too. image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me forever (poor website design, in my opinion), but I finally was able to see the large cents in the sale and then......

An S-272 1807/6 small 7 large cent in a PCGS VG10 holder pops up. One of 17 slabbed in all grades by PCGS. The PCGS price guide lists $7500 but I wouldn't be surprised to see it bring twice that.

Not especially beautiful:
    imageimage

This coin is a great example of the leeway the TPGs give to rarities.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone find anything that peeks your interest? >>

I saw one item but as the consignee had it on eBay 6 months ago for $200K I'm afraid to see what the reserve will be? image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh. Four Vts albeit one a gem....no Feuctwangers ...wallet stays closed on this auction.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    I will be writing more about this auction. I welcome reports from anyone who participated. Did any of the readers of this thread acquire coins during Rarities Night?

The Rarities Night in Baltimore, Part 1

Insightful10 --gmail
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Yes, a couple of issues...
    The auction started Wednesday afternoon...why would you start an auction the afternoon before the show with one of the highlight collections. This is awful timing for a consignor and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Also, the Lincoln cents were reserved incredibly high. This also hurts the credibility of an auction. I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the overall auction, but this is obviously not the norm for Stack's-Bowers.

Also, the announcing of the higher buyer's premium starting this summer for those that spend less than $50k is ridiculous. It's going to not only hurt the buyers, it will hurt the consignors as dealers will just figure their bids as 3% less. This was a dumb move and who chose 17.5%? If you're going to raise the fees, do it for everyone. It's no longer an even playing field and hurts all of those involved.

In my opinion I think that they just opened up the door for a 3rd tier auction company to move in and become competition for #2...
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Nebuch: <<I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the overall auction, but this is obviously not the norm for Stack's-Bowers.>>

Agreed, the inaugural Rarities Night in Aug. 2011 and the highlights of the Stack’s-Bowers Nov. 2011 auction were of higher quality, on average, than the material in this 03/22/12 Rarities Night.

Nebuch: <<In my opinion I think that [Stack’s-Bowers] just opened up the door for a 3rd tier auction company to move in and become competition for #2...>>

There is only a small opening. 1) Heritage, Stack’s-Bowers and the Goldbergs all have tremendous name recognition. 2) Heritage shows lots in three or four regions prior to most major auctions, Dallas, NYC, Beverly Hills and the location of the respective auction. Stack’s-Bowers often shows lots in at least three locations, Southern California, New York and Baltimore.

For another auction firm to successfully sell rarities, there would be a need to spend a vast amount on advertising & PR. Further, holding lot viewing in Southern California, NY and other locations would be very beneficial to consignors and bidders. An excellent website would be important as well. Will another competitor seriously try?

March 22, 2012 Rarities Night, Part 2, Half Dollars

The Rarities Night auction at the ANA Convention, part 4, Results

Auction Results for Quarters in Baltimore 11/11

What are Auction Prices?

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file