Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

H.O.F. Plaques

Does anyone on this site collect Baseball vintage H.O.F. autographs? I have been tring to put a complete Albertype, Artvue and Yellow signed plaques. A long and expensive Hobby with a lot of unknowns. Did George Weiss sign any plaques before his death, Anyone ever see or own A Gehrig or Ruth signed plaque? Did Evers ever sign a plaque? Any vintage autograph collectors on this site???
Thanks Craig

Comments

• Options
    GONEBATSGONEBATS Posts: 102
    Does anyone collect autographed Baseball H.O.F. plaques: Black and White Albertype and Artvue and Yellow signed plaques. I started several years ago and have built up a large collection with a few holes. Looking to start a thread! Any interest???
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect them, but there a few lots in the current Huggins and Scott auction.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    I've had a few in my day. They're great and can be extremely tough to find the more scarce ones. Which tough ones do you have?

Check out this site for more conversation
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    my 10 year old list shows Weiss, Ruth, Gehrig, and Evers as "IMP" (Impossible)
  • Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    I used to collect autographs until players started charging to sign, and other stuff, and my first choice for a HOF signature was always a plaque. In my opinion collecting HOF plaques is the highest state of any autograph collecting.

As for Gehrig and Ruth, I have seen one Ruth B&W signed plaque in auction (through one of the auction houses) but that was a long time ago. I have never seen a Gehrig signed plaque postcard and if one "exisits" - plan for it to be fake. I would not worry about "completing" this set, that is unless you are a multi millionaire where money is no object. First there are players who were elected after they died. For some of the rarer plaques, you might need a Dimitri Young type of MO to do some acquisitions. But to me any collection of signed HOF plaque postcards is an awesome collection in any state of completion.

Here is what PSA has to say on the subject:

http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?universeid=314&artid=2410

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Hall of Fame autographs were a specialty of mine until I couldn't afford it any more, and I liked signed plaques. At one time I had lots of multiples, including Mantles, Dimaggio's, Jackie Robinson, etc...sold off at various times when I needed cash. Yes, I wish I had them back...

Ruth yes, Gehrig no.

There are a few Weiss ones out there. Dave Bancroft is another who had a short window to sign.

Alexander and Eddie Collins would be two of the toughest to find.

There are many low-life auction houses that sell plaques of players who died before their plaques were printed, such as Gehrig, Landis, Pennock, and Maranville, there are a few others too. Faber and Combs both exist but many of those out in the wild were signed by their respective wives.

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I dont collect these, only have a couple, just wanted to add they are listed with values and checklist as signed in my 2009 SCD Catalog on page 171 (its the last copy Ive bought)
    they list the Ruth as "value undetermined" and the Gehrig as "Sepia Only" and give values of $2000/$1800/$1500. and they also list Evers as $450/$400/$335

obviously if a Gehrig is out there it would be far more than $2K, so I wouldnt put too much into this info, but its out there and often used (SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, Fluckinger edition)
  • Options
    Lou Gehrig `S ALS was so advanced when his plaque was printed , he was unable to sign. Walter Johnson also ill and probably never signed a plaque according to his family as reported by Kevin Keating. Evers could have signed the Artvue but none have surfaced. Joe Tinker and Chief Bender could have signed the Albertype Black & White , but I have never seen one. The rarest Albertville and Artuve would be I/M/O Grover Cleveland Alexander,Babe Ruth, Eddie Collins,Jesse Burkett,Clarke Griffin,Tom Connolly,Hugh Duffy,Connie Mack,Kid Nichols,Rod Wallace and Al Simmons. In that appromimate order.

The rarest Yellow plaques are number 1, a front signed "Goose" Goslin as he hated the statue of him and the gloss of the Roberts/Cuteichcolor yellow plaques and went to his induction in Cooperstown but never returned. There are a number of rear signed plaques. Second would be George Weiss who signed a few shaky signatures on his plaque days before his death in 1972. Third Dave Bancroft and fourth Urban "Red" Faber whose wife signed 95% of the plaques out there! Foxx, Jackie and devise aided Campy are avalible but expensive.

I do have a large number of Plaques, but of the above lists I have Kid Nichols, Rod Wallace, and Al Simmons and a legit. Faber. A fun but expensive pursuit!
  • Options
    Who are you missing at this point?
  • Options
    I am missing Grover Cleveland Alexander,Babe Ruth,Eddie Collins,Jesse Burkett,Clarke Griffin, Tom Connolly,Hugh Duffy, Connie Mack in Black and White plaques. In the Yellow, only Goslin, Weiss, and Bancroft. Only is a poor choice of wording. The above are rare and expesive to say the least. Collect what you like and I have been true to that principle!

Craig
  • Options
    Wow. Awesome job.

I've seen what I consider "good" Bancrofts and at least one Griffith. They are out there somewhere.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Lets see some pics!!!
  • Options
    I am computer challanged! Will try!
    Craig
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few of these myself. At some point I started going for the PSA authenitcated stuff and then went back to the just autographed ones. I really don't think most of the available ones are expensive at all. In fact, Bob Gibson is doing a signing here in town (San Antonio) next month but find I can purchase his card cheaper than his current signing fee. I am constantly looking and sometimes buying what I call the big four: Mantle, Mays, DiMaggio, Williams. I have purchased Mantles as low as $125. I haven't purchased in the last year or so, meaning I still need the last two years inductees. I also purchased 6-7 postcards from an estate sell maybe 17-18 years ago. The postcard is a picture of the statue out in front of the HoF, the sandlot boy. I have these put away and believe they may be obscure HoFer's, I just don't remember. I think I paid a pretty penny for them and liked the fact that they were not on their yellow plaque cards. This was a postcard produced by the HoF, don't know if they still sell them or not, but think they still would. One day I will have these matted and framed instead of put away in plastic storage bins.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Added, Griffith & Mack from Kevin Keating. Also Bancroft on the yellow plaque side. So close but so far away!

Craig
  • Options
  • Options
    good afternoon just found this forum

i too just got a bancroft on the yellow hof side very excited to get it..

i am still looking for ray schalk, jackie robinson and elmer flick any ideas??
  • Options
    I think you should have no trouble picking up any of these on an auction or one of the better Ebay sellers. A Jackie Robinson, front signed in the 1000$ neighborhood. Schalk and Flick for under 500. Make sure you know whom your buying from , if no JSA/Psa cert. Kevin Keating`s Quality autograph site has them all, but overpriced. Can negotiate price to 20% off. Check Ebay KW seller?. Recommend Ron Keurajian`s "Baseball Hall of Fame Autographs A Reference Guide" as the bible of high end autographs.

Craig
  • Options
    yes i have seen kevin inventory very impressive but i consider way over priced for sure.

i have looked several auction sites for the previous mentioned but no luck as of yet

how long have you been collecting? and who do you consider the most difficult to get in the yellow set gooslin?

• Options
    I believe there are only a few, three or less front signed yellow plaques. Maybe a dozen or so rear signed plaques. Whether or not signed George Weiss plaques exisit is open to conjecture. I have never seen one offered for sale. Jimmy Foxx and Dave Bancroft, legit. Red Faber and assisted signed Roy Campanella are also scares.

Schalk and Flick are on Ebay right now, seller KHW has several. Elmer Flick's signature are very shaken as he was older and quite infirm.
    Schalk and Flick appear often in auction, I would be surprised ,if you do not see them in the next twelve months!

Craig