Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who Was The Best Hitter of the Vintage Era?

This follows from my thread on Mickey Mantle ( Link ). OK, if you were the owner/GM of a major league baseball team (say the 2012 Pirates), and you could choose any hitter from the vintage era, who would it be? (e.g., Mantle, Clemente, Mays, Dimaggio, Williams, Aaron, or any other) The caveat is that you would have the advantage of hindsight, so the players career statistics arc would exactly follow how it did in history, and there would be no way you could change it. You would draft him as he was a rookie. For example, Williams would still take 3 years off to join the military in his prime, Mantle would still get a freak injury and have an alcohol problem, etc. You know it's going to happen, and you can't change it. Who would you pick? I think I would pick Williams with Mays a close second.

Comments

• vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Muhammed Ali
  • Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Williams, hands down.
  • Babe Ruth
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this was a vintage fantasy baseball league, my first round pick would be Hank Aaron.

edited to add; If I was owner/GM of a team, my pick would be the same.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Cobb
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I'd go with Musial. Maybe not the stats of Mays but one of the best hitters of his era and a class act. I would have to think his positive attitude and hustle would more than make up for slight drop in numbers over the d-bag that is Willie Mays.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    The Babe edges Teddy Ball Game IMO.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Ted Williams without hesitation. Remember he lost several YEARS to
    WWII.

Dave
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I agree Ted Williams. He gave up all or part of six seasons to serve and still put up elite career numbers.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• my daddy, God rest his soul, still have bruises,,, Lord I apologize for that and bless the pigmy's in new guinea,,,,
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You actually lose almost 5 seasons with Williams, he missed time for WWII and Korea. Mays is a good choice as well as Musial both had long careers and were very consistent.

Since you said hitters, I'll take Rogers Hornsby.

Joe

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Hard to argue with Lou Gehrig; ya know he's gonna be in the line-up everyday.
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    No doubt, Ted Williams.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Put me in the Ted Williams camp as well. Best all around hitter in the history of the game. Ruth would be a very close #2 pick for me.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hornsby.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Williams with Musial a close second. Both were great hitters and class acts--something MLB definitely needs more of today!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp

• << <i> (say the 2012 Pirates) ... For example, Williams would still take 3 years off to join the military in his prime >>

In the 1940s dozens, if not hundreds of top athletes fought the enemy on the battlefield. In this century my count is at one -- a good defensive back, but not a true all-time great. So losing Williams for five years and two wars would put him behind Ruth and Mays in terms of on field accomplishments. But having the guy who chooses to do something like that on the product you're selling would easily make him the most profitable choice
  • If Mario Mendoza is not available, then I'll go with Teddy Ballgame as well.
    I am a HUGE Ted Williams fan, but he was far far from a "class act" for most of his career he was a very childish person and often criticized for what was perceived as selfish play. He did serve our country two times, something no other ballplayer did, but he was quite unhappy when he was called to fight, especially in Korea. Read the book "Ted Williams" by Leigh Montville it's a fabulous book about Williams.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If we can take pre-WWII, it's Babe Ruth; if not, it's Willie Mays.
    Look at WAR per season.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Mays hands down, add defense plus lost 2 3/4 seasons to the(a) war, NOT EVEN CLOSE BUB!!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan The Man
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ruth, he could also pitch.
    Good for you.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    so the players career statistics would exactly follow how it did in history, and there would be no way you could change it.

So does that mean Babe Ruth would still have the same amount of Home Runs, or would they be significantly higher and keep with history, whereby he hit more Home Runs in a season than ENTIRE TEAMS hit?

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw another thread where a 1920 Ruth Jersey is going up for sale. There was a LINK to an article which stated: He hit 54 home runs in 1920, obliterating his own major league record of 29 set a year earlier with the Red Sox. No other team in baseball hit more than 50, and no other individual hit even 20.

So based upon last year, the most HRs hit by a team was 222 by the Yankees. In 1920 Ruth hit 8% more than the next best TEAM hit in total. So in keeping with history, does that mean Ruth would hit 239 HRs for the Pirates this year? If so, I'll go with RUTH as my first pick.

In addition, even though the seating capacity of PNC Park is only 38,362, I believe the presence of a guy who will hit 239 Home Runs for the season will sell out every game. When was the last time the Pirates had 3,107,322 people show up in one year?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Babe Ruth ...............by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

• << <i>Babe Ruth ...............by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! >>

Wins above Replacement supports this.

But under your scenario is he a pitcher the first 5-6 years of his "Pirate Career?"
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Williams
    In his book "The Hit List" Ted Williams ranks the best hitters, in his opinion, according to a statistic called "Production" slugging % + on base %. It's what he felt was the best way to measure the best hitters. He did not rank himself, but his numbers would have made him #2 behind Ruth.

Rankings by numbers (Williams did not have them in this order, he moved them around a bit because of his personal opinions)

Ruth 1.163
    Williams 1.116
    Gehrig 1.080
    Foxx 1.038
    Hornsby 1.010
    Mantle .979
    Dimaggio .977
    Musial .977

Mays had a much lower ob% because of a lower batting average. He comes in at #11 with a production of .944. Hank Greenberg was at 1.017, but had a very short career.

OP's question was hitter not best ballplayer. If it was ballplayer I would pick Mays.

Joe
  • I would have to take Ruth, he was too much a game changer!!!!
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of possibilities and I can agree with all of the choices, but as an owner/gm, winning games would be more important to me than just getting the best player. I would think that 755 Home Runs and almost 2300 RBIs would win me a ton of games, therefore give me the Hammer!
  • Pre 1920: Ty Cobb
    1920-1940: Ruth followed by Gehrig, Greenberg
    1950-79 Ted Williams followed by Stan Musial

Dave

• << <i>

<< <i>Babe Ruth ...............by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! >>

Wins above Replacement supports this.

But under your scenario is he a pitcher the first 5-6 years of his "Pirate Career?" >>

Yea, my scenario was the player would exactly mimic his career stats on the absolute level. I wasn't thinking of including pre-war players, but it's still interesting to see these. So if you picked Ruth, he'd be a pitcher the first few years of his Pirates career, but he would rake when he batted in NL. So, you'd convert him to the outfield. He'd hit 54 HR's around his 5th year, but then he'd have another year where he'd basically have a season ending stomach ache injury.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth. He could close a game on the mound for you too...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pre 1920: Ty Cobb
    1920-1940: Ruth followed by Gehrig, Greenberg
    1950-79 Ted Williams followed by Stan Musial

Dave >>

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

Many close 2nds.

As noted Teddy ballgame was not happy about serving in the military. He tried to be released in a court action in ww2.

Stll he served and tip your hat to him and all the other major league players who did. Minus tillman,,,,,can you imagine the uproar if an albert Pujols was drafted today???

In Korea where teddy actually flew.....they placed john glen ( aviator, astronuat, senator) as his wingman. If you put teddy in the air...better have someone real good covering his arse.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    1. Babe Ruth

2. Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays?

Noticed that DiMaggio wasn't mentioned, was he?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Mays hands down, add defense plus lost 2 3/4 seasons to the(a) war, NOT EVEN CLOSE BUB!!

When were these 2 3/4 seasons?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    The fat guy in pinstripes----regular season...post season....he did it all offensively. Forever changed the game with his raw power.
  • sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Pre-war - TY COBB

Post-war - TED WILLIAMS

The two best pure hitters in MLB history.
  • jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭

<< <i>Pre-war - TY COBB

Post-war - TED WILLIAMS

The two best pure hitters in MLB history. >>

What does "pure hitter" mean to you? Not really questioning your choices, just want your thoughts on it since this phrase is used often, but rarely discussed.

My vote goes to the Babe.
    Joel
  • Teddy Ballgame, but Ruth is a very very close 2nd.
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mays hands down, add defense plus lost 2 3/4 seasons to the(a) war, NOT EVEN CLOSE BUB!!

When were these 2 3/4 seasons? >>

My bad...Mays missed about 266 games due to military service. About 1 and 2/3 seasons

When is Vintage Era?

Pure Hitter:
    1-Ruth
    2-Williams (Missed almost 5 years due to military service!)
    3-Roided out Bonds
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Never watched any of them, born in 1971. Looking at stats and seeing I am a huge Sox fan, I will go with Williams.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    My choice is Gehrig all the way. Class act, great hitter.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Babe Ruth. Hands down, no-brainer.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    Well, the way I read it, From the thread title, and the content, there are two things here: who we think is the best hitter, and who we take first for a team. To me, there is a difference. So then, for me, I would say the best hitter of the vintage era was Ted Williams.

But the first player I would choose for my team would be Joe DiMaggio ( and I hate the Yankees). Maybe I am too much influenced by Richard Ben Cramer's outstanding book, but DiMaggio was players player. A leader of leaders on the field.

For the record book, and "back of the baseball card" yeah, I want stats. But on the field, I want trophies.

• Ted Williams
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Stan Musial for his consistency.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Willie Mays without a second thought.