Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT What's the best PhotoShop Program to Buy?

I'm looking to purchase photoshop to make my own custom cards. What's the best photoshop program for that application? Thanks BP
"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Comments

• Options
    I'd go with Photoshop Elements (I use 7, but I think they're up to 10 now). It's the all best creative tools for a fifth of the price that CS5 would cost you.
  • Options
    Must have... Photoshop CS5 - high learning curve but hands down most powerful... Adobe let's your try it for free for a month.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    agreed on CS5- Elements is a stripped down version that lacks a lot of key features. In time you'll end up buying CS5 anyway, and having to respend and relearn.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    If you have a kid (grade school through college) in the house, you can buy PhotoShop CS5 for about 80% off from Amazon. I'm sure other places have it as well. You just need to have a valid student ID or report card.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have a kid (grade school through college) in the house, you can buy PhotoShop CS5 for about 80% off from Amazon. I'm sure other places have it as well. You just need to have a valid student ID or report card. >>

Just bought my daughter the full Adobe package (Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5 Design Premium) which includes Photoshop CS5 Extended, Dreamweaver CS5 and a host of others for about $420 dlvd through a student discount (was listed at various sites for $1100-1800).

Was able to add it to a second PC as well and have her teaching me how to use it to start making custom 1948 Leaf cards of the players they missed (Otto Graham, Joe Paterno, Marion Motley, Joe Perry, Y.A. Tittle, etc.). I've got a lot to learn, but I'm getting there.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys thanks for the info. I'll take a look at Amazon and use my daughter report card.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    You can get a free 30 day trial download here...
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Call me a luddite . . .

but I disagree with the majority. I do all of my custom work with Elements 2.0. I bought version 8.0 but have not yet been able to take advantage of the updates. What's really lacking is a ". . . for Dummies" book for the 8.0 version.

Unless you're going to be doing more than creating cards, (i.e., animation, videos, etc.), I don't see the need for the $400+ Suite package.

Whichever you go with, find one or two of the books pertinent to that software.

I'm sure the newer versions would make the job "easier," but this is a hobby for me and I enjoy the time spent noodling around with my antiquated software.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    You can also buy it straight from the Adobe site.

And, if you know any educators, they also get the same discount.
  • Options
    Aldus Photostyler 2.0, ©1994 image

PM me if you want me to tell you where to get a copy. Thing is awesome.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photoshop Elements is up to version 10 now and includes pretty much everything you could possibly want from the full version of Photoshop - but for $49. Get Elements, the full version - or the entire suite - simply aren't worth the money unless you're a pro.

Or download GIMP and use that instead.

Tabe
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I made this Stephen Strasburg rookie card with Photoshop CS4