Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

No mention of Da Meat Hook selling his rookies?

Comments

• Horrible news indeed
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • How much will he lose?

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how they break this up.

500 vintage 10's is some VERY SERIOUS change.

I'd be surprised if this isn't at least 2 or 3 auctions.

If it's all in one, he's leaving money on the table.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Dude hasn't earned a paycheck in 3-4 years. time for him to make some money back i guess.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How much will he lose? >>

He paid some silly high prices for cards over the years, so I'm guessing he'll lose a lot. There just aren't a lot of collectors who can shell out 5 and 6 figures for a card. His handler was always easy to deal with, so I hope he does well.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Will be very interesting to see what they sell for. Man, that's a LOT of TENS of some amazing players!

EDITED TO ADD: There is NO VCP for the Clemente and Yaz in a ten and they are BOTH 1 of 1s. Spence (#1) and Fogel (#3) are at the top of The Registry for the '55 set. Might they throw CRAZY MONEY after Roberto?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why but this makes me a bit sad after watching the big fella amass such an amazing collection.

• << <i>I'm not sure why but this makes me a bit sad after watching the big fella amass such an amazing collection. >>

Not sad at all. Who knows what other stupid shat he did with the rest of his cash. I'm sure his card collection wouldn't have broke him if he spent the rest of his money wisely. Who knows how many bad investments or hangers-on he had to deal with. Stuff comes and stuff goes. In the end it's just stuff!
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he has hit the wall like many of us do and is moving on to other challenges. I hope this is the case but if not, it is a bit sad that if there is money issues, a man that made as much as Dimitri did during his career has to liquidate assets like his cards. Hopefully he realized he has too much money tied up in cards and is trying liquidate and go after something else with a better return and there is no serious financial issues.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

<< <i>Maybe he has hit the wall like many of us do and is moving on to other challenges. I hope this is the case but if not, it is a bit sad that if there is money issues, a man that made as much as Dimitri did during his career has to liquidate assets like his cards. Hopefully he realized he has too much money tied up in cards and is trying liquidate and go after something else with a better return and there is no serious financial issues. >>

My thoughts as well. Hoping his divorce and substance abuse did not cause him to go thru this:

MLB Player Salary - Dmitri Young

2009 Washington Nationals $ 5,000,000
    2008 Washington Nationals $ 5,000,000
    2007 Washington Nationals $ 500,000
    2006 Detroit Tigers $ 8,000,000
    2005 Detroit Tigers $ 8,000,000
    2004 Detroit Tigers $ 7,750,000
    2003 Detroit Tigers $ 6,750,000
    2002 Detroit Tigers $ 5,500,000
    2001 Cincinnati Reds $ 3,500,000
    2001 Cincinnati Reds $ 3,500,000
    2000 Cincinnati Reds $ 1,950,000
    1999 Cincinnati Reds $ 375,000
    1998 Cincinnati Reds $ 215,000
    1997 St. Louis Cardinals $ 155,000

YUP ... FIFTY-SIX MILLION DOLLARS ... $56,000,000.00
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I would love to see a complete list of his collection
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    He'll probably soon hit the autograph show circuit.....he'll have to make all that up for 10 bucks every sig.
    Looks like there is another thread about the same subject.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Looks like there is another thread about the same subject. >>

Mine was first, therefore, it's more awesome. And, Steve made the other one so nobody likes it.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesnt he have a PSA 10 Clemente Rookie. Thats what I want to see!