Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

EDIT: 1935 DDO FS-101 Washington Quarter??? [PHOTOS ADDED]

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sometime last year I picked up a 1935 Washington Quarter in NGC MS67 (crazy, I know!). I liked the look of it and thought it might have a shot at crossing for some reason (crazy, I know!). I purchased this from an online aution without seeing the coin in hand (crazy, I know!). I picked up the silly quarter because of a family members birth year (not so crazy, I know!). Today, I pulled some of my widgets out of the SDB for a little photography session (crazy, I know!). Today is the first time that I really really really looked at the coin and I have had the darn thing for a loooong time (crazy, I know!). I pulled out the latest and greatest CPG and grabbed my 10x/20x loupe...just for the heck of it.

Well, I think I may have found the DDO FS-101....really crazy, I know! I went hunting through the PCGS Registry Sets looking at the Complete Variety Sets that contain photographs hoping to find more good photos of the variety. No photos of the DDO in the registry sets. image Coin Facts does not have a photo...and it seems there are NONE graded at PCGS according to the pop report embedded with Coin Facts. This is backed up by the fact that none of the Registry Sets seem to have one (I clicked through several).

I have ZERO, ABSOLUTELY ZERO intent on trading away or selling this coin!!! Since I like VARIETIES in my life, hence my Merc Dime Complete Variety Set...if I ever finish a 1935 Birth Year set for a family member, I would use this quarter in that set. It would be fun...and who knows, maybe in 20 years, I might expand my Washington Quarter collection beyond the year 1935 and a few others.

So, now I ask the hypotheticals........Properly attributed in a PCGS Holder in MS66 or MS67, what do you think this thing would be worth as not only the Top Pop (1/0) but also the ONLY ONE GRADED AT PCGS? Any auction history out there for ANACS or NGC attributed coins? Anyone know of any that exist? What's the history on the coin? I notice it was included in the CPG 4th Edition as well as the current 5th edition. Any additional photos or points of reference would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!!!

Now the bad news...YOU WANT PHOTOS but I can't provide them to you at this point (crazy, I know!). I hope to get this thing photographed Tuesday night...with photos posted Tuesday night as well. Oh, the ANTICIPATION!!!

Fire Away! image

3-1-2012 Update
Well, finally....here are photos. They are not the best photos...but they are photos. There is certainly something going on but it does not seem to be the one shown in the CPG. Thoughts? Anyone have one of these? Thoughts on grade based on bad photos?

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will let someone else tell you what it is worth ... I will just say that I can use the coin for my 1932-date complete (528) coin PCGS Washington quarter collection and if you want to sell it, let me know.

A suggestion for anyone out there reading this thread ... THINK TWICE BEFORE EVER DECIDING TO COLLECT A 528 COIN REGISTRY SET!!!!!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There you go.....a buyer!image
  • Options

<< <i>I will let someone else tell you what it is worth ... I will just say that I can use the coin for my 1932-date complete (528) coin PCGS Washington quarter collection and if you want to sell it, let me know.

A suggestion for anyone out there reading this thread ... THINK TWICE BEFORE EVER DECIDING TO COLLECT A 528 COIN REGISTRY SET!!!!!!

Wondercoin >>

I thought collecting a 100+ coin registry set(Merc Dime Complete Variety Set) was reason enough to be put in an institution. What do I have to say about a 528 Coin Registry Set?...I'm not so sure I should say within the realms of a public forum. imageimage
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>There you go.....a buyer!image >>

You didn't read my entire post. Now go back to your silly dime threads. image

There's something to be said about holding onto coins that others want...not sure what that is but there is certainly something to be said. image
  • Options

<< <i>I will let someone else tell you what it is worth ... I will just say that I can use the coin for my 1932-date complete (528) coin PCGS Washington quarter collection and if you want to sell it, let me know.

Wondercoin >>

That is why I am only collecting the 178 coin registry set (1932 to 1964) that I will never be able to complete. But it is sure fun trying. I am only up to 69% complete image

I have a 35 DDO in MS-66 but it doesn't match the one in the Cherry pickers guide, so I didn't even try to send it in.
  • Options

<< <i>

Wondercoin >>

That is why I am only collecting the 178 coin registry set (1932 to 1964) that I will never be able to complete. But it is sure fun trying. I am only up to 69% complete image

I have a 35 DDO in MS-66 but it doesn't match the one in the Cherry pickers guide, so I didn't even try to send it in. >>

According to CONECA there seems to be about 5 DDOs for the date. Do you know which one yours is and do you have a photo?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondercoin >>

Good advice, Wondercoin! Why not just collect the difficult ones?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think 528 is a crazy set to go after............I will soon have a 720 + coin set to work on. BJ is in the process of making a new set for me that will be for all dimes and all varieties of all dimes
  • Options

<< <i>
    Good advice, Wondercoin! Why not just collect the difficult ones? >>

Due to budget issues that came about early in 2011, I have focused my efforts on JUST the varieties of the Mercury Dime Complete Variety Set since they are the hardest to find and sometimes I can Cherrypick them... If I ever get back to my pre-2011 income level then I might complete the darn set but for now I am just focused on the silly widget varieties. image I had to taylor my collecting to my budget and that is what I did.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Send the coin to James Wiles or Mike Ellis at CONECA for proper attribution since you are unsure. If the coin proves to NOT be the DDO then you simply lose those PCGS grading funds and CONECA is a lot cheaper than PCGS in the attribution arena. A bit more accurate as well since the CONECA photo library is a bit more extensive than what is available to PCGS who simply uses the CPG photos.

If the coin actually proves to be the DDO, then send it to PCGS for slabbing. The value of the piece, top pop or not, is dependent upon what someone will pay you for the coin. The CPG lists an MS65 at $175 with an Interest Factor of 2 (minimal). That interest factor is validated by the fact that folks must not be looking for the coin since none have been attributed by PCGS. ANACS doesn't even have any listed.

Off the top of my head, if the coin crosses at MS67, I'd probably ask $1,000 for the coin but what the heck do I know? If it crossed at MS66, then possibly $750 but again, I have no idea.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Wondercoin >>

I have a 35 DDO in MS-66 but it doesn't match the one in the Cherry pickers guide, so I didn't even try to send it in. >>

There are 5 DDO's recognized by CONECA and, unfortunately, it shpuld again be noted that the CPG is not THE Bible with regard to varieties. Just like the PCGS Price "Guide", the CPG is only a "Guide".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Good advice, Wondercoin! Why not just collect the difficult ones?"

That is an interesting comment. Actually, many of the "difficult" ones are among the easiest to locate if by "difficult" we mean the major varieties. Many of the non-major varieties are the toughest to locate... case in point ... this particular 1935 coin which has seen very few pieces slabbed by the major grading companies, but is fairly inexpensive relative to the major varieties.

Anyway, I am having fun with the collection ... without a doubt, I am not building this registry set "for the money". In fact, I will probably be lucky to break even in the end on the variety portion of my quarter collection. If one were to measure this collection based upon a "lost opportunity cost" metric for the funds expended, it would be a massive loss over time. But, if your purpose of collecting is not driven by profit, none of that matters. Again, not a suggested course of action for most out there, especially because these particular coins are too thinly traded on top of that.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Update in 1st Post.
  • Options
    I added photos in the first post. Thoughts? Anyone have one of these? Thoughts on grade based on bad photos?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do I have to say about a 528 Coin Registry Set?...I'm not so sure I should say within the realms of a public forum. imageimage >>

HA!

450 overtons

947 large cents (approx)

3700+ VAMS

every line in the redbook

date runs w/o varieties for lincolns, jeffs, roose, wash, kenn, ike

plenty of madness out there. and plenty of us in the same institution as you!

in my first 10 years in numismatics i can easily see thousands of USA coins in a collection with no duplicates, i'll leave you all to speculate how this could be

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>I added photos in the first post. Thoughts? Anyone have one of these? Thoughts on grade based on bad photos? >>

not sold on the ddo based on the images

too bad it wasn't still in the 67 holder in case it is a ddo cuz it ain't going back in at that baby ;-)

hope you prove me wrong on the ddo and the grade hehe
    there are 5 DDO 1935 washies at coneca listed and 1 sdo whatever the heck that is, so you just may have one

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Machine doubling
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>too bad it wasn't still in the 67 holder in case it is a ddo cuz it ain't going back in at that baby ;-)
    >>

PCGS MS67 Money Was NOT paid for the coin so I do not care. It was very close to PCGS MS66 Money that was paid and I like the look of the coin so hopefully it can land in at least a MS66 PCGS Holder. I like the machine/strike doubling on it even if it is not the FS-101. I think it is pretty cool. image
  • Options
    Bump for the Friday night crowd....just for grins. Anyone else come across one like this?
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mechanical/Shelf/Machine
    Doubling

I see no evidence of a
    Doubled Die in your scan.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

<< <i>Mechanical/Shelf/Machine
    Doubling

I see no evidence of a
    Doubled Die in your scan. >>

Correct...that has been established already. Glad you agree. When I first examined the coin, I thought there was a good chance it was the DDO. Sadly, after the photos were taken and examined, it was clear that it was not. image I just left the original thread title so as to keep things consistent. Fred, have you seen any more of these? I like it. image
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this variety exist?

it seems PCGS has not graded any yet.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 4:48PM

Variety Vista lists it. As does PCGS even though they don't show to have graded one.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think this variety exists. That said, if one does exist, I would pay many multiples of the PCGS Price Guide for one.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

what's the fuss all about. found one of these years ago!

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    what's the fuss all about. found one of these years ago!

Nice, but it's not the FS-101 (if such a variety exists).

From the single known image of the purported variety, we see a portion of "IN GOD WE TRUST" - and nothing else. We don't have any images of the entire coin that even prove it is dated 1935. There are a number of known DDO's for 1934, and some of these have doubling that looks very similar (if not identical) to the doubling on the so-called 1935 FS-101.

FYI, I also have the 1935 DDO that you have (VP-001/DDO-003) - mine is PCGS MS66. ;)

• Options
    edited December 7, 2022 10:39AM

i checked all the listings from 32p to 36s and didn't see any that were really a close match imo.

went to aspie's pinned thread to see what books NNP had on file:

per the complete guide to washington quarters by John F. - copyright 1994 DLRC press

i am wondering where the image even came from as it looks different that the ones on the site.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    i am wondering where the image even came from as it looks different that the ones on the site.

Which image and which site are you talking about? The 1935 FS-101 image from VarietyVista is the same image that appeared in CPG, if that's what you mean.

If you ask me, it's pretty fishy that no one has ever come up with a full photo of the so-called variety, complete with date.

No need to look at the 1936 DDO's - none of them are even close. Don't be too quick to dismiss the 1934 DDO's. ;)

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 7:39PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    anyone wanting to zip through some post 36s listings to compare to the 35p ddo image provided, i won't stop ya. ;)

I see now that you did specify post 1936 DDO's. It is not necessary to look at any of those (or even the 1936 DDO's for that matter).

The purported 1935 FS-101 has the Medium Motto design, so it could only be from the years 1934-1935.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:
    I don't think this variety exists. That said, if one does exist, I would pay many multiples of the PCGS Price Guide for one.

Hate to say that I know a few guys with Crazy Deep Pockets that might just compete. I also do not believe the coin exist. I sure wish J.T. was still around as I had asked him before to please take it out of the CPG guide so that pcgs would not Require the coin for the Variety Set, he also mentioned to me that he thought the picture was from a 1934.

It would also allow someone to ACTUALLY complete the 184 coin Set.... Also Variety Vista if you go to the actual page to will see the photograph no one knows who it came from? Comments: FS-101. I need to see a specimen for new high magnification, color digital photos. How many years must pass before pcgs takes the coin out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

"He also mentioned to me that he thought the picture was from a 1934."

Quite interesting.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soooo.....There's a published variety with not one confirmed example? I guess this is the million dollar question, but how did it come to be published then?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Soooo.....There's a published variety with not one confirmed example? I guess this is the million dollar question, but how did it come to be published then?

typo?

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file