Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Im surprised there is no Griffey Upper Deck Basic Set Registry

Looking at all the Player Basic Sets available, it got me to thinking that Junior would be perfect for a "Upper Deck Basic Set" Registry. Take into account that he started and ended with UD (1989 - 2010) i think it would be a cool option.

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Will PSA put it up if you ask? I am working on his rookie card set right now only have two more to go. I think the UD set would be something I would try to put together as well.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I've asked them before about doing a set for the '01 Topps Employees, and they said no. The also went on to say that Topps and for some older issues, Bowman, are the only basic issues they'll start a set for.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I find it hard to imagine that PSA wouldnt do an Upper Deck Griffey Registry, considering the 89 UD is probably the most popular modern RC of the generation.

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Years ago... I requested the creation of similar type sets on multiple occassions... always shot down on the premise that they could only support basic sets for Topps cards (at the time). I know one of the earliest requests I made was for the Michael Jordan Basic Fleer set... and was also shot down under that reasoning.

Then, a year or more later they published that exact set (I have no idea who requested it or why they changed their stance)... but it happened... so there is always hope! It can't hurt to request it and see what happens (and possibly, stay on it until it happens).

The biggest issue would be where does PSA draw the line? If they stretch the limits... how far do they stretch them? Can anybody then request a Basic Set for Topps Chrome, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Fleer, Donruss... heck, even more established recent issues like Topps Heritage, Allen & Ginter, Leaf/Panini Rookies & Stars, etc! To me, and even though my initial request was shot down, the MJ Basic Fleer set made sense... as roughly half of that period of his cards (and more importantly, his rookie and early issues) Topps wasn't making Basketball cards.

The registry is already flooded with silly sets (IE. Rookie, Basic & Master sets of no-name players that maybe have 1-2 participants, if any at all)... don't really need more. It always baffles me that someone would request a silly set... and then not even the requestor bothers to actually start the set in the registry. I'd guess someone out there has a graded copy of every Adam Dunn Topps Allen & Ginter card... but does that really need to be a registry set?

BTW... I'd be in favor of something logical like a Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck Basic Set... just have to be careful what you ask for!
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    i havnt asked because i currently have enough "on my plate" already as far as Registry Sets go.

Eric, it was the Jordan Basic Fleer Set that made me wonder about Griffey.

as far as how far they would/could stretch it, the possible sets would have to be of actual "Basic" Cards, that would eliminate A&G, Heritage, etc.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle