Material Magnets Repel
Promote the Hobby

Comments

• Options

<< <i>This might sound dumb, but I did'nt know a strong
    magnet actually repells silver. Did any one else
    know that?image

Steve >>

No I have never heard that. What would cause that to be? the impurities left in .999 bar?
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a tampered with bar with a steel core.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Silver is diamagnetic. Im guesssing you used a powerful magnet.It should twitch slightly.
  • Options
    Steel core would attract a magnet. Yes, silver is diamagnetic.

Read all about it here! Know your Physics!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver is diamagnetic. Im guesssing you used a powerful magnet.It should twitch slightly. >>

Your right JM, it is a powerful one I recycled out of one of those shake it up flashlights, I about Sh*t
    when it did that to my englehards and JM's and every thing else I have, I meen there is resistance
    you can feel, Because of the diamagnectic properties, Like I said I learned something today.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options

<< <i>Steel core would attract a magnet. Yes, silver is diamagnetic.

Read all about it here! Know your Physics! >>

OK.... now you got me concerned about that MRI I had done. It was a strange experience, couldn't say I was levitating but it sure was not comfortable and got rather hot.
    I must have a high diamagnetic score.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Silver is diamagnetic. Im guesssing you used a powerful magnet.It should twitch slightly. >>

Your right JM, it is a powerful one I recycled out of one of those shake it up flashlights, I about Sh*t
    when it did that to my englehards and JM's and every thing else I have, I meen there is resistance
    you can feel, Because of the diamagnectic properties, Like I said I learned something today.

Steve >>

image On the bright side,once you change those drawers, you can rest easy in the knowledge your PM's did exactly what they should do.
  • Options

<< <i>OK.... now you got me concerned about that MRI I had done. It was a strange experience, couldn't say I was levitating but it sure was not comfortable and got rather hot.
    I must have a high diamagnetic score. >>

So, exactly how much silver nitrate did you drink?
  • Options
    Reading the info on it, would enough silver repel an electromagnetic pulse?
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Reading the info on it, would enough silver repel an electromagnetic pulse? >>

Interesting thought. Maybe this would help us in the future to protect us against those who would use such a weapon to disable our capabilities of defending ourselvesimage Just saying...
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    Reading the info on it, would enough silver repel an electromagnetic pulse?

Yes, but it would be a function of the energy of that pulse. So you stack more silver and 'they' use more energetic EM pulses.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    All's I know is I have to try it now. I have my neodymium magnet but all my silver is in my SDB..guess it'll have to wait till Friday image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    Tried a small neodymium. May be my imagination but think there is some resistance on a 5 oz ATB.

Or is a much stronger magnet needed?
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tried a small neodymium. May be my imagination but think there is some resistance on a 5 oz ATB.

Or is a much stronger magnet needed? >>

Ya, maybe, like I said to JM the magnet I have was recycled from one of those shake it up
    flashlights I'm using is the most powerful magnet i've ever had and I've had plenty of em
    from speakers and such, and a puck should show resistance, my magnet totally was resistant
    on a NTR 10 OZer even through the vinyal, my JM's bars and englehards as well as Mexican
    Libertads, but on the 10 ozer it seemed scary with the resistance, I then tryed it on some
    Harbor freight brass lamps I have and they stuck to the magnet and on some copper pennys
    just seemed flat.

I hope y'all will post your results

Thanx

steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Take a silver coin and glue a string to it. make a very long pendelum with it and wait until the suspended coin is motionless (eliminate all drafts that may cause coin to move). Approach coin with a neodynium magnet, slowly without touching. Coin should move away from magnet.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if you put a magnet on a silver bar,
    you will feel a slight push away from the bar !!!
    Timbuk3