Home Sports Talk
Options

Paper football

I just taught my eight year old how to play paper football. You take a piece of printer paper, fold it up, and find the nearest table.

I was born in 1965 and played a lot of it as a kid, but my dad was born in 1938 and said he never played it.

Have you played it ?

Comments

• Options
    My best friend and I used to go to Tulane football games in the 70's and 80's with my folks. Frequently we'd play paper football in our seats. Those games were often better than the game on the field.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I played it a lot as a kid in the 70's. It's the ultimate time wasting game, plus as a bonus you can aim for your buddy's face when kicking it through his finger goalposts. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a website devoted entirely to paper football.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Played some paper football, but penny hockey was more popular 'round these parts.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    How to Make a Paper Football

1 Start with a 8 ½ by 11 in sheet of paper.

2 Fold the paper in half lengthwise.

3 Unfold and cut (or tear) the sheet in half along the crease, making 2 tall strips 4.25 in wide by 11 in tall.

4 Place one of the halves vertically in front of you and fold it in half lengthwise.

5 Fold the lower right up and left so it lines up flush with the left edge of the paper. Crease the paper diagonally to make a triangle.

6 Flip the triangle up so the point lines up with the left edge.

7 Continue folding triangles up the paper until you reach the top.

8 Undo the last fold and fold the top corner down so that the two points meet, making a triangle in the opposite direction.

9 Trim about one inch off the right point of the triangle.

10 Tuck the extra paper into the pocket.

11 Press down on the football to flatten and that’s it! Now you have a paper football Have Fun!!!.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    My Brother and I used to LOVE playing paper football (or matchbook football). We made one for each NFL team. We would sit at one end of the hallway and flick them all the way to the other end, towards the banister. Which ever team made it further, that team would "win" the match-up. We would have a 16-week season, and have playoffs and Super Bowls!

As I grew older and into high school, my friends and I would get kicked out of the library for kicking the extra points too far.

Even a couple weeks ago at a bar, there was a radio show having a contest where you had three chances to kick one through a goal post. I couldn't believe how many people were having problems kicking them even two feet. I kicked my first one to the other end of the bar!

Good times... image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one dumbarse who never heard of it must really be humiliated. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    killed a lot of time at school playing paper football. Forgot all about it until reading this thread!
  • Options
    played it at school desk in 70s, kicked a ton of field goals.
  • Options

<< <i>played it at school desk in 70s, kicked a ton of field goals. >>

Flicking your football across the classroom = detention..............(guilty)
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I was born in the late 60's, played a ton in the 70's (during school - image ) and have taught my kids (now 7 and 9). We play when we go out to breakfast. The whole family plays. Love it!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to play paper football and penny hockey most everyday at lunch in junior high and high school. It eventually evolved in playing Euchre for money. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    It was the way to pass study hall or detention durung the Dazed and Confused Era