Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help ID medal

Impulse buy. Seems old. Uniface, 72mm. Seems like a death medal.

Any clue as to background?

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't found references to the medal, but Robert Estienne was a 16th century printer and classical scholar in Paris. He was a former Catholic who became a Protestant late in his life and the first to print the Bible divided into standard numbered verses.

Here's a Wiki link.

• Options
    I see a mention in this Google Book of a medal done by one Leon Deschamps in 1897 of Robert Estienne. The document says that a picture can be found in M.R. Marx's "Les Medailleurs francais contemporains", plate 29, no's 10 & 12. See: Numismatic Circular

Of course it seems that Marx's book isn't available online, but I did find a WorldCat listing of libraries that may have it.

Hope this helps!
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    It is a galvano reproduction of the medals Die face. If they look like a mirror image of the medal they are the Mold face I believe. These are used by the sculptor to view his work on incomplete dies, also they are Often used in Museums to show both sides on displays without owning the medal . To me yours Actually looks like a newer cleaned up version. The reverses usually look like a slag pit. Here is a Pistrucci Victoria galvano from my collection as an example of what I mean.

imageimage
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are remarkable. Thank you.