Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Foreign Silver Planchet - Identifiable?

HI Guys-

I just bought this foreign silver planchet out of the melt bin today, I wonder if it is identifiable. It appears to be almost the same size and weight as a German Gulden
(mid 800s). Any thoughts?

Specs-
29mm diameter
2mm thick
12.75g
~.800 silver(?)

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea. What does the edge look like?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's gonna be a tough one to nail down, since there are so many possibilities in just coins, without considering medals too.

<< <i> It appears to be almost the same size and weight as a German Gulden
    (mid 800s). Any thoughts? >>

I think any German coin from the mid 800s would be pretty small and thin and hand-hammered. image

(Yeah, I know. You meant mid-1800s. Haha. Still, I dunno how you'd be able to pin this one down convincingly, particularly as you don't know the fineness of the silver, do you?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The edge is flat

-Kev
  • Options
    Looks to me like it came off a belt buckle and something else was pressed into the rimed side. ???
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Given that the rim is only on one side I am going to suggest it's not even a coin blank. Rims on coin blanks are usually put in place by an offset roller press and this results in a rim on both sides of the coin. Perhaps your blank is a struck silver blank for a small medal that is waiting to be engraved?
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps your blank is a struck silver blank for a small medal that is waiting to be engraved? >>

That's my gut instinct on the matter.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    My gut reaction was that it was to put a picture or ad in, like a locket.
    Becky
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, how would such a rim be produced?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    one die would be flat-the other die would be smaller with shoulders which would produce the rim.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Given that the rim is only on one side I am going to suggest it's not even a coin blank. Rims on coin blanks are usually put in place by an offset roller press and this results in a rim on both sides of the coin.

That was my first thought.