Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

working on better pics

Well, I had some extra time this afternoon so I decided to dig out my old OTT light and give this another try. I had to build a copy stand, but I finally have the setup working.

Here is a before and after example, the first was photographed a while back, shot freehand using natural sunlight. The second with the new setup using a homemade copystand and a single OTT light (diffused).

The difference isn't dramatic, but seems to show the surfaces more evenly. What do you guys think? I know I need a little more practice and fine tuning but I'm pleased so far.

I picked this example because it has such colorful toning-
Before
After

I'll try to post another example in a little while.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely more even lighting on the second one.

• This one was freehand too, using indoor lighting, hence the yellowish look. The jeton actually has very deep and dark toning, with a spot of color in the center of the reverse-
    And this one was with the OTT light and copy stand, but the focus could have truned out better on the reverse (I'll work on that)-

I think with a little adjusting I may just be able to make this setup work.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Nice improvement on the pics. I need to bite the bullet and set up a copy stand for myself. Would it be possible to get some pointers, links or a pic of your setup? Thanks
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's much better, good job FB.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Thanks guys! I have some really difficult ones to work on now, ones that just haven't turned out very well so far. If I can improve on them I'll post an update tomorrow.

Pokermandude, pm sent.

Added:

Do you ever get started on something and just refuse to put it down? image

Here's a very difficult example, one I've tried countless times to photograph.

First pic is an old one, taken in natural sunlight. This is the clearest I've gotten so far with this one-
    And tonight's attempt at a better pic using the new setup. The lighting wasn't optimal, but it looks like a pretty good improvement to me-

Anyway, sorry to be taking up so much time on here, sometimes (usually) I get a project going and have to go all in until I get it right. I'll work on this on my own and see what comes of it.

Thanks for your time.image
  • Ok, last one, I promise!image

Before pic- using regular indoor lighting, which turns out to be harsh and hard to control-

After pic- using OTT light with a heavier filter to cut down on glare-

And now a question --

What is causing the effect that we are seeing in the field on this picture? The pastel "smeared" look that is seen when focusing in tight on a single area is what I'm referring to. It's gotta be a camera setting that I need to adjust, just not sure what to mess with to fix this --
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pictures. Looks like you got the lighting down pretty well. Not sure about the "smears" - perhaps its dust?

• << <i>Nice pictures. Looks like you got the lighting down pretty well. Not sure about the "smears" - perhaps its dust? >>

I checked the lense for dust or prints, buy it looks clean. I'm not real adept at setting the camera for different conditions, so I figure it's probably something in the settings that I just don't know about.

But they turned out pretty good, I'm pleased with the results. If I would stop enlarging the pics to the size of a billboard I'd be alright.image