Home Sports Talk

Fantasy BB help!

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone have any sleeper picks ie: rookies or under the radar guys you expect big things from?

Or how about any busts?

Thank You

Comments

• zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

For sleepers I like 3B Brett Lawrie, 1B Eric Hosmer, OF Desmond Jennings, SP Matt Moore, SP Brandon Beachy, and RP Kenley Jansen. I think Zack Greinke and Ichiro (hitting 3rd) will both have big years. Melky Cabrera and Mike Morse look like busts to me. Fantasy BB drafts are kind of a guessing game but its awesome when you guess right.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I kind of like Morse...his numbers have been steadily increasing in WAS every year.

I'd say Jacoby Ellsbury will be a bust (at least compared to where he'll be drafted). I'd be shocked if he puts up anywhere near the kind of production he put up last year.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I kind of like Morse...his numbers have been steadily increasing in WAS every year.

I'd say Jacoby Ellsbury will be a bust (at least compared to where he'll be drafted). I'd be shocked if he puts up anywhere near the kind of production he put up last year. >>

Funny you mentioned Ellsbury, my gut tells me he wont repeat last years performance but my mind tells me he is a top 7 pick
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Sleepers Hosmer,Bumgarner,Goldschmidt,Kipnis,Holland,Bourgos,Pestano.

Busts Valverde,H.Ramirez,Sandoval,Weaver,Napoli,M.Holliday.

Good Rookie Possibilities,Pomeranz, Perez KC Royals
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Hosmer ain't no sleeper
  • Leyland is planning to hit Brennan Boesch in front of Miggy and Prince, which is about the cushiest spot a hitter can possibly find himself in. I believe Boesch will far outperform his auction price/draft position.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hosmer ain't no sleeper >>

neither are most of the other guys that were mentioned. The majority of those guys will be drafted well before the mid-rounds. I look at sleepers as the post-hype prospect types that may be in a position to gain more playing time or see a late season adjustment to their approach. In this case, Ian Stewart will get regular ABs for the Cubs at 3B. He could provide value in deeper leagues if your league uses OBP and/or SLG% although he can't hit lefties to save his life so he'll be useful 73% of the time. Wrigley also inflates HRs for lefties by 14%. Mat Gamel also fits a similar description though a lot of that will depend on his start to the season as Taylor Green might push Gamel back to AAA. Phil Hughes is probably beyond a post hype sleeper but last I looked his ADP was in the 18th-20th round range. If he grabs the #5 starter spot, he could provide #3 fantasy starter value. Justin Smoak hit .284/.393/.527 in April then hurt his wrist and missed about 6 weeks of action but finished with a .301/.354/.438 in Sept, not much in the slugging dept, but he was also coming back from that wrist injury and I believe his father passed away so he had a lot going on...but you can probably do worse for a CI or Util slot later in the draft esp if your league counts OBP or walks. Honorable mention to Colby Rasmus, Pedro Alvarez, and Brandon Belt who have the skill and should have starting jobs, but didn't show much of anything last year. Draft them for late round bench spots. I'm not sure where Allen Craig is being drafted so far, but even if he misses the first month of the season, the Cards have already been laying the ground work for Beltran to move to CF once he returns.

Dexter Fowler hit

.361/.443/.557 (July)
    .250/.351/.448 (Aug)
    .287/.380/.521 (Sept)

over the second half after his demotion to AAA and he should have a good deal of value in leagues that use 5 starting OFers. If he runs more and can swipe 25 SBs he could easily provide 5th round value. As much as myopic Red Sox fans hated Scutaro, he was the 7th best SS last year. Now moving to Coors which should see an uptick in his BA. COL also tends to run more so he could provide double digit HRs and SBs and a .300 avg from your SS, 2B, or MI slot. Jon Niese could provide value in deeper leagues with strong K rates and peripherals....though not many wins. Same for Henderson Alvarez who won't bank many K's since he's an extreme sinker baller, and you probably won't want to start him against match-ups with the Yanks or Red Sox, but could provide late round value in deeper leagues as your #5 or #6 starter.

I agree with Fiveniner on Pestano and will add Drew Carpenter of the Astros, Greg Holland of the Royals, Glen Perkins of the Twins, and Fautino De Los Santos of the A's, as guys who could push the incumbent closers. A few of those guys will also approach elite closer level in Ks and if your league counts them, holds. Brandon League is a good bet to get dealt at or before the deadline which would mean Ruffin, Kuo, or possibly T.Wilhelmsen as next in line for saves in Seattle. Avoid drafting him if you don't want to relive the K-rod situation of last season.

Also agree with Fiveniner on Bourjos in the cheap SBs dept....add Revere and Tabata to that list of good speed (potentially 40+ SB), empty BA guys especially if your league is a 5 starting OF league.

edit to add: also among sleeper types could to be established players who missed 75%-100% of the previous season to injury. Of those off of the top of my head, Wainwright is already being drafted in the 9th-11th rounds so he's not a sleeper, but Johan Santana (depending on if he's healthy) might be the one guy in that dept. His current ADP is around 225-260 which would make him a current 18th-20th rounder in a typical 12 team league.

Agreed. Hosmer is the real deal.
    I drew the 6th overall pick, 12 team league.

My opinion I will get one of these players ( My top 6 )

1-Cabrera
    2-Pujols
    3-Tulowitzki
    4-Bautista
    5-Kemp
    6-Votto-Longoria-Cano-Texeira- ????????????????????
    I usually look at the position that has the weakest cast for my first round pick which at this point I have to say SS then 3rd base.

<< <i>I usually look at the position that has the weakest cast for my first round pick which at this point I have to say SS then 3rd base. >>

Agreed however looking at my projections it would have to be Longoria as Hanley Ramirez potentially being the best SS available is out of the question, I like Longoria but his supporting cast worries Me.
    Anyone got any Fantasy Baseball stuff to report? My team is doing well so far, Jared Weaver has been awesome for Me and my best waiver wire picks have been Mike Aviles and Matt Joyce.
    Go after JD Martinez Houston.Small slump right now but should bat .300+ 80 to 90 RBIs.

Bust Paul Goldschmidt,Ben Zorbist IMO
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    My best waiver pick ups have been La Hair, Hammel, Capuano and Rodney. Boesch is underperforming.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I drew the 6th overall pick, 12 team league.

1-Cabrera
    2-Pujols
    3-Tulowitzki
    4-Bautista
    5-Kemp
    6-Votto-Longoria-Cano-Texeira- ???????????????????? >>

perkdog, just curious who was your first pick? I would guess Kemp probably wasn't available for you to get as the sixth overall pick.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

In one of my leagues I pulled off a blockbuster deal:

I traded Yu Darvish and Bryce Harper for Albert Pujols. I figure Albert is just taking off while Darvish and Harper although talented will most certainly struggle at times this year.

My best waiver pickups this year: Peavy, LaHair, Rodney.

<< <i>

<< <i>I drew the 6th overall pick, 12 team league.

1-Cabrera
    2-Pujols
    3-Tulowitzki
    4-Bautista
    5-Kemp
    6-Votto-Longoria-Cano-Texeira- ???????????????????? >>

perkdog, just curious who was your first pick? I would guess Kemp probably wasn't available for you to get as the sixth overall pick. >>

Hey Darin, I traded my first 2 rounds for the guy who had the 2nd pick so we basically swapped our first 2 picks. Kemp went first so I grabbed Cabrera, Im so happy Kemp went first because if Cabrera went I would have picked Pujols image

My first 2 picks were Cabrera and Carlos Gonzalez, Im happy.
    Forgot about Peavy. Also snatched him for the FA pool. Zendude, we must think alike, but I don't know if I'd trade Darvish and Harper for Pujols?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perkdog, glad it worked out for you. Good luck in your fantasy leauge. image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    Anyone notice Zambranos ERA? image