Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

For Safety Reasons????

"your coins will be mailed separately."

Received invoice and inserts from Germany, but apparently the coins I ordered were mailed separately. The invoice had the inscription in my subject line. New one for me. The only problem I ever had was one shipment from Colin Cooke years ago. There was a problem with a Belgian post, but that was due to the carelessness of the shipper, not criminal activity.
Be that as it may, I do not see how sending coins in a packet separate from the invoice makes for a safer transit.
Then there is the subtle frustration of seeing invoice and inserts without the coins. Makes the anticipation even worse.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The only way I see it as safer is if the combined shipment exceeds the allowable insurance limit.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the seller is a reputable auction house or dealer, they have their private insurance called a Varlor isnurance. usually they have strict conditions attached to shipping and HOW a declaration is made.
    I know for example: nothing can be shipped on a Friday or a day before a stat holiday. starting at a certain amount a shipment must be sent in such way that a adressees signature must be obtained
    registered mail is not suffcient for some insurance policy, as it takes too long. that leaves couriers or express.
    Never ever must the declaration indicate that the contens are coins. they have strict rules about that. most are ok with Numismatic items.
    Insurance companies there take the position that if customs wants to open it, they have the right to do so under any circumstances.
    Packaging also must be in a ways that there is NO visible or audible indication of possible contents,
    How do I know?
    unfortunately, I had a claim and learned the hard way. eventually the sellers Insurance co paid the claim. DHL simply pointed to their small print and ignored the whole issue.
    even the FBI got involved as it was an international shipment from Germany to the US. Box was neatly cut open and re-taped during a "misdirected" shipment.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life