Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the difference between a Type B and Type H quarter?

Reading the recent post about the Type B quarters, I was doing some spring cleaning yesterday and found a quarter whose reverse had jumped out at me a few years ago that I had set aside. It is a 1970-D. High relief on the reverse. I had it marked as a possible Type B, as the distance and shape of the ES, the leaf above the arrow, and the leaf touching the A fit the description, but the date didn't. The tail feathers have a raised line down the center of them.

Last night I looked in the new CPG and saw the new listings in there. Now I'm thinking it might be a Type H.

Does anyone have a full size picture of the B and H that they could post together for comparison? The CPG just has closeups on a few points on the coin.

Comments

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread was started by another member awhile back and shows a 69 d and a 70d hope that helps and I have been searching for these for the past 2 years without seeing one. Enjoy tom Type H ?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. I've looked at a few past posts on the subject, but since the new CPG now acknowledges a Type H, I was wondering how they compared side by side with a B reverse.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    The differences between a Type B and a Type H are minimal but they are different. Primarily because one was used for Silver Proofs while the other was used for Copper-Nickel Clad Proofs. Most notably, the N in UNUM touches the Eagles head on the Type H.

For the Washington series of 1968 - 1972, there are some quite rare reverse varieties according to James Wiles in his ANA Theater Washington Reverse Die Varieties handout of 2003.

PM me your email address and I'll forward you a copy.

These "proof reverse dies" which showed up in Denver are only one example of where the San Francisco facility used to send rejected material (for proofs and silver collector coins) to the Denver facility. Other examples are the 1974-D, 1977-D 40% Silver Eisenhowers and Kennedy coins. 1971-D Eisenhowers minted on proof planchets and the notable RDV-006 1971-D are others.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PM sent Lee.

• Options
    Thanks Lee. The bottom of the "N" is touching the eagle's head.

• Options
    Lee -- it looks like the RDV-008. It has the longer leaf (bottom left pic) in the email you sent me.

It matches all of the images for the RDV-008 and has a high relief.
    According to the new CPG, it is a Type H

• Options
    The original poster is spot on on his observations. The centerlines of the tailfeathers are on the H and not the B. This matches the other clad coins of the period. They must have modified the original B artwork to make these.

RDV-008 = type H. H is the 8th letter of the alphabet. All RDV numbers of CONECA and James Wiles can be converted in the same way. RDV-001 = type A, RDV-002 = type B etc.
  • Options
    <<The differences between a Type B and a Type H are minimal but they are different. Primarily because one was used for Silver Proofs while the other was used for Copper-Nickel Clad Proofs. Most notably, the N in UNUM touches the Eagles head on the Type H.>>

Hey Lee,

The N touches the head on some of my silver B's.

• Options
    Keez,

Have you found any of the Type G (RDV-007 or my type M) quarters yet? You might find them interesting. THey are only found on most 1968 S and some 1969 D, 1970, and 1970 D. The 1970 D ones are in most 1970 mint sets and dealers' stock.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The differences between a Type B and a Type H are minimal but they are different. Primarily because one was used for Silver Proofs while the other was used for Copper-Nickel Clad Proofs. Most notably, the N in UNUM touches the Eagles head on the Type H.

For the Washington series of 1968 - 1972, there are some quite rare reverse varieties according to James Wiles in his ANA Theater Washington Reverse Die Varieties handout of 2003.

PM me your email address and I'll forward you a copy.

These "proof reverse dies" which showed up in Denver are only one example of where the San Francisco facility used to send rejected material (for proofs and silver collector coins) to the Denver facility. Other examples are the 1974-D, 1977-D 40% Silver Eisenhowers and Kennedy coins. 1971-D Eisenhowers minted on proof planchets and the notable RDV-006 1971-D are others. >>

Impressive Lee
    But you do realize you are now officially a member of the weenie variety club of which I am also a proud member.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ProofArtwork -- I haven't checked for these (rounded leaf, RDV-007, Type G) before, but I'll take a look when I can.

Thanks for clarifying the alpha/numeric relationship.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keez,

Have you found any of the Type G (RDV-007 or my type M) quarters yet? You might find them interesting. THey are only found on most 1968 S and some 1969 D, 1970, and 1970 D. The 1970 D ones are in most 1970 mint sets and dealers' stock. >>

After looking at my only 1968 S, it has the B-type seperation between the E and S and the tail feathers do not looked split. So I guess that is now the type G. Tomorrow I will finish up going thru the 233 68 S on ebay but looking so far I have not found another one with that seperation. Interesting, and will add my results tomorrow......Enjoy tom
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    1tommy - The B style gap between E and S indicates a type H.
    These quarters have a strong relief on the bottom edges of the wings and the arrowhead region is worked over.

Type G (which I called type M for awhile) was the first proof only artwork in 1968. It appears on about 3/4 of the 1968 S quarters.
    The inside of the wings is even sharper than type H. The area around the arrowheads is also worked over again, but differently.
    Instead of the leaf just to the left of the arrowpints being extended upwards, it is the leaf to the left of that leaf. It also appears on some 1969 D, 1970 and 1970D. The 1970 D version appears in most 1970 mint sets and dealer's stock.

Much more on the this subbject can be found here and in the links within it.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&amp;threadid=697723&amp;highlight_key=y&amp;keyword1=type m
  • Options
    ttt - Due to a combination of snafus, I bumped up the wrong thread previously.
  • Options
    68S type E FTW!
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there really 4 different reverses on 1968-S proof quarter? Are any rare?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file