Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Henry VI 1422-1427 N 1415 S1803 rarity?

Hi all,
I recently acquired a Henry VI Noble, Calais, S 1803. I'm not very familiar with these and their relative rarity (I love it because of its impressive size, despite being rather thin).

Are there any mintage/survival reports of these, or does anyone know approximately how rare these are? From my research so far, this appears to be a better issue than most, but I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks for the help!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose these are too esoteric? image Does anyone know of a good place to find more information about these?
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is useless without pix. image

(Actually, I'm useless for any kind of intelligent answer to your questions, but I'd love to see this thing anyway, so I can drool over it.)

I doubt there are surviving mintage records when you're goin' back to the 15th century.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi all,
    I recently acquired a Henry VI Noble, Calais, S 1803. I'm not very familiar with these and their relative rarity (I love it because of its impressive size, despite being rather thin).

Are there any mintage/survival reports of these, or does anyone know approximately how rare these are? From my research so far, this appears to be a better issue than most, but I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks for the help! >>

According to the 2009 Spink book, S-1803 is the second cheapest of the Annulet issue nobles of 1422-c.1430. HTH.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Listed in North as scarce. Stewartby (English coins 1180-1551) has a ton of technical as well as historical information. During this time period the London mint focused on gold coinage while the calais mint's output was mostly in silver coins, making silver London coins and gold Calais coins quite scarce.

Rarity ratings will be difficult, as are estimated of how many have survived.

Deliveries of gold coinage (minted at £ 16 13s. 4.d to the pound, which were 50 nobles).

Mint accounts for Calais (gold) show:

July 30th 1422-January 30th 1424: £ 60612
    February 24th 1424-December 24th 1427: £ 35590
    May 20th 1428-February 8 1431: £ 6018

Presumably gold coinage ceased in Calais after that.

To compare, London records for March 1422 to mid 1424 shows £ 329,115 of gold delivered.

These numbers include other denominations as well.

Pictures would be helpfulimage. Let me know if you would like any more information.

Dennis
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the incredibly helpful information! I clearly have a lot to learn about these. Here's an image of my coin:

The pictures don't give it justice - it's incredible that this coin has survived for this long despite being so large (about the size of a US half dollar) and so thin.

I came to the S1803 designation myself based on auction images I scoured through so it very well may be inaccurate, but please let me know what your thoughts are.

Also, if you have any opinion on grade, I would much appreciate it, as I couldn't even begin to guess how to grade these accurately.

Thank you again!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (drooling on keyboard)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Very cool coin. F-VF at first glance.

Give me a few days to check the attribution.

Dennis