Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Piacenza Scudi

I mentioned that I purchased a Piacenza piece with the Brandenburg schautaler and here it is:

imageimage

The coin looks a bit better in hand, my scanner only does so much.

Featured is Alexander Farnese who was Duke of Parma and Piacenza from 1586 to 1592, and Governor of the Spanish Netherlands from 1578 to 1592. Altho succeeding his father as Duke in 1586, he remained in the Netherlands in an ultimately unsuccessful effort to return the rebelling northern Dutch provinces to Spanish control. He apparently never visited his territories as Duke and appointed his son as regent instead. Of interest to me especially, as one of Philip II's best generals, he was to have been the land leader during what proved to be the abortive invasion of England during the Spanish Armada.

The Lis held by the figure on the reverse is the emblem of the Farnese family one of whose members was Pope Paul III who created the Duchy of Parma in 1545 for his illegitimate son Pier Luigi. Piacenza was added to the Duchy in 1556. The Farneses ruled the Duchy until the family died out in 1731. Somewhere along the way I also picked up a pair of 1628 coins of Odoardo Farnese, Alexander Farnese's grandson. Unfortunately they both have the standing saint reverse and frankly since these were not a primary interest, I've been too cheap to buy the other "commonly" encountered type with the saint on horseback. Not as nice as the Alex coin and neither benefited much from the cleaning they received before they got to me. The coins are slightly wavy, I assume the product of roller dies, explaining the wear pattern especially noticable on the fancy collar. This is an interesting series and one I've thought about collecting. The coins tend to be expensive, however, and there always seems to be something of greater interest every time I think about seriously starting to chase them.

I need to get to the bank more often I suppose...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

Comments