Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I think I have a small crown canadian quarter

I was hoping to put up a picture and see if anyone could tell me if it is a small crown or not. I don't have a large crown to compare to

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would say you have a small crown 1906.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the other side its maybe an AG coin

obverse

I bought a few lots of canadian silver from several antique dealers in new hampshire over the past few summers . I don't know who this came from because I had it all jumbled together . I paid around melt for the stuff . Most of the coins were loose and pretty junky ,regular canadian and newfoundland coins mixed together a very few were stapled in 2x2's this one wasn't.

I was thinking of selling off some of the rattier looking coins and started looking things up and discovered the variety in a Krause book.
  • Options
    Looks like a solid G-4, possibly G-6.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a Small Crown to me. The Large Crown has a small dent in the interior lining on the right side, but the Small Crown is a smooth arc. There's an excellent picture of this in the new Haxby Canadian coins Guide Book as well as in the standard 2012 Charlton catalog.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello bronco,
    sorry to be the one who must through water on the fire.
    I have enlarged your quarter to very big...
    unfortunately, yours does have the indent on the right side of the crown.
    until you can post a b etter and high image picture, my verdict is, unfortunately, "large Crown".
    the indent is clearly visible...
    but it could be the way the scan or photo is taken
    so, please, a very large picture will clear the issue for sure.
    here is your coin next to a small crown

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

It's interesting because I was thinking it was a small crown because of the length of the line between CANADA and the date. Looking at the scan I can barely see the line at all but its easy to see it on the coin. I didn't know about the indent on the crown.

Its very gloomy here today there is no good light for a camera photo but I can try to scan it again

• Options
    the indent (large) or NO indent(small) is the only known indicator of it being small or large.
    please scan the coin in high resolution and before your final scan, crop out just the crown and scan it with at least 1200 dpi, better 2400. then post that image.
    go on :upload Images... upload the image from your location on your HD to PB.

it is free... post it there, copy the IMG code and paste it into your text here...voila, large image...( all you do is click on it and it copies to your clip board automatically)
    H
  • Options
    DBMDBM Posts: 27 ✭✭
    On the 1906 small crown the line between Canada and the date extends well past the right side of the 0,on the large crown the line ends pretty much right above the right side of the 0
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a picture of a vg small crown from David Lawrence archives
  • Options

Here is a larger scan but I'm still not that happy with it the dividing line goes almost over to the 6 in 1906. I'm not sure about the indent. I had never heard about an indent before only the line and the physical width of the crown.

2nd attempt
  • Options
    Small crown
  • Options
    looks like it in that image...
    to be sure, and it is worth it, send it to ICCS or CCCS, or if you are in the US, to NGC..
    then there is no argument...,, IMO, should be about a G6 so you could get anywhere from 1500 to 2000 depending how bad a buyer wants it..
    h
  • Options
    BTW the fabric on the left side of the crown is also a marker obvious on well worn examples.The small crown has a wide shallow depression,the large crown a very narrow depression between two bumps.
    It's a small crown without doubt,for resale send it to ICCS,if it's a keeper get it in a hard slab from CCCS or PCGS
  • Options

while I think about it stapled it in a 2x2 image

I own only 1 slabbed coin and it came to me that way , I have no idea how to get a coin slabbed . If I decide I'm going to keep it I guess I can leave it in a 2x2 .

Other than the money of course what is the benefit to selling it at this time? Are these going up in value or down or sitting in the same place as 5 years ago?