Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HK-833 Bickford Dollar

I just purchased a group of tokens. In the group was an HK-833 Bickford Dollar. I tried to find out a value, but only can find HK-834 and 835 on the internet. Anybody know anything on price in MS other than the HK book?

TRUTH

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only found one in the auction archives....

(1897) Bickford Dollar Pattern, HK-833, MS68 NGC. These were issued in 1897 by Dana Bickford, of New York, who issued eight ...
    2006 September Long Beach, CA Signature Auction #416

$2,990.00 (includes BP )
    Currency Converter
    Bid Source: Live: Phone
    Auction Ended On: Sep 16, 2006
    Item Activity: 9 Internet/mail/phone bidders
    144 page views
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HK-833 varies only slightly in design from HK-834/835, and has same brass center as HK-835. The February 2008 Price supplement to the 2nd edition of Hibler-Kappen (revised by Hoffman / Hayes / Brecher / Dean) indicated a very slightly higher valuation for HK-833 over HK-834/835, with a published estimated Unc. range of $100-$800. The medal would have to be superb gem to reach anywhere near the upper range of that estimate. The issue is scarce, but demand for these hasn't been exceptional. They are somewhat esoteric, relative to some of the other monetary medals, such as the Bryan, Lesher/Referendum and Pedley-Ryan issues.
    The example cited by thebigeng is an anomaly, having sold at the height of the market anticipation of the release of the revised edition of H-K, and is probably the finest known of the variety that likely went in to a Registry set.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    link about them here...
    1897 hk833
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>only found one in the auction archives....

(1897) Bickford Dollar Pattern, HK-833, MS68 NGC. These were issued in 1897 by Dana Bickford, of New York, who issued eight ...
    2006 September Long Beach, CA Signature Auction #416

$2,990.00 (includes BP )
    Currency Converter
    Bid Source: Live: Phone
    Auction Ended On: Sep 16, 2006
    Item Activity: 9 Internet/mail/phone bidders
    144 page views >>

Thanks for the information. I looked at the two NGC HK833s in the heritage archives. They are both misattributed 834s in the NGC holders. image I can't seem to find HK833s, they are all HK834s and HK835s. I wonder if the 833 is much, much scarcer than listed.

TRUTH
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a pretty common SD$1 as it's readily available in MS65-MS67... Possible all coming from a hoard as I recall reading image

For UNC prices check the EBay's completed sales as even the MS68 examples mentioned below recently ended.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truth, depending on grade the HK-833 should be worth anywhere from $50-$1,000. is your example holed?? is the "third side" grooved??

• Options
    is your example holed?? is the "third side" grooved??

Keets, The dollar is as posted in your photo with the bars. On the coin's third side, there is one small circular "groove" mark about half the width of the side. My dollar should grade anywhere from AU58-MS63.

TRUTH
  • Options
    some of the HK836-837 medals were grooved to accept a wire for suspension on ribbons, though i didn't know of any HK-833's or others that had been. many others, particularly HK-833's, were holed for suspension and can be hard to find unholed. i just looked at Heritage and they have an HK-835 listed.

• Options
    Ah. great information. My 833 is not holed for suspension, but does have the groove, as if to have the medal screwed to a hanging ribbon as in your photo example from Heritage. Should I start making plans for a vacation to Hawaii. image

TRUTH
  • Options

I wonder if the 833 is much, much scarcer than listed.

I suspect that it is. distinguishing between the two center plug metals can be difficult.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file