Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Star Spangled Banner Silver Dollars and $5 Gold Coins

edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
According to mintnewsblog.com: The Star Spangled Banner Silver Dollars and $5 Gold Coins are expected to go on sale March 5, 2012
(even though the "Mint Online Product Catalog Page" is sleeping).

Knowing what we do about 2011 uncirculated gold commemorative mintages, who is buying?

(l8-)>>

Comments

  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    "Star Spangled Banner Silver Dollars"
    not much info...design???
    limits???
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭✭

    www.brunkauctions.com

  • Options
    Count me in for a proof and Unc of the gold, even though I'm not a huge fan of the reverse. Maybe it'll look better in person.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2011 gold coms. aren't bringing what you would think they should.

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm lukewarm on this year's runs, and I'm not talking for flips. image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭
    I think the Silver $1 coin looks awesome, especially the obverse, and should make a good looking proof coin.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002 ✭


    I'm in for the $5 ms coin and one of each of the dollars.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look attractive. Count me in.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is in on these so far? Sales are pretty dismal; even below last year's Army and MOH.

    Before those "in the know" want to punch me, MOH and Army gold coins haven't exactly been gangbusters yet. A box of 5 unc army gold $5 coins is going for just over $650 a set now on eBay. Raw ones can still be had around issue price. What's interesting to me on the Star Spangled coins isn't just the classically low-mintage Uncs (Currently at 3,798 and trickling in a few dozen in sales a week) but the proof, at 4,918.

    The Unc Star Spangled banner $5 gold coin will likely come in somewhere between Capital Visitor center and the Army coin with sales of about 7,000. The proof, though, could come in under 10k as more suavy investors go for the "sure winner" unc coin. At 7k in sales, the Unc won't be a key Unc commemorative but if the proof comes under 10k it'll be the new proof gold key commem $5 coin by FAR. The next lowest would be the 2011 proof Army gold coin with 17,173.

    Would I rather have an Unc with a mintage of 7k or a proof with a mintage of 9,600? There may be more upside in the proof in that scenario.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only in for one but PCGS called it First Strike MS70...image

    image
  • Options
    I`m in for a few! image bought them day one.
  • Options
    I have 2 PCGS MS70s FS and 2 MS69s FS.
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I picked up one of each... Beautiful coin... the low mintages could well be a blessing in disguise...
    UBERCOINER

    A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    Question about the inscription on the reverse of the silver unc SSB coin. Does it matter if it is slanted instead of straight? Picture on the mint website has a straight (level) inscription. The one I just received slants up, to the right. Looked on ebay for coin auction pictures and they are mixed, some level, some slant up, some down. I guess I'm just wondering how usual is this in the minting process? Similar below. Thanks in advance. image
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Question about the inscription on the reverse of the silver unc SSB coin. Does it matter if it is slanted instead of straight? >>

    I'm assuming your coin is just rotated in the slab...? Or else you might have a rotated die.
  • Options
    I'm in for one of each.

    Modern commems are my series and I'm buying them all! image
  • Options
    MM Posts: 363


    << <i><<Question about the inscription on the reverse of the silver unc SSB coin. Does it matter if it is slanted instead of straight? >>

    I'm assuming your coin is just rotated in the slab...? Or else you might have a rotated die. >>

    No, not rotated in the slab. It looks normal on the obverse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file