Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is my math correct?

If I wanted to send a cross-over 1763/2 8 Reales to PCGS under Regular Tier service, I would pay $45 (tier rate and Secure Plus holder, which is a requirement now) + $10 for Secure Plus Crossover mandatory fee + $24 Variety Attribution for the overdate (is this necessary if PCGS has a separate item number for 1763/2?) + $8 handling fee + $44.30 shipping to Canada = $131.30 to cross-over a single coin.

Alternatively, if I went with Economy Tier and didn't have to pay the variety attribution the cost would be $87.30.

I guess it makes sense to build-up a submission to save on shipping, since it's a flat rate for up to 10 coins.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Ouch. I have to say that I have never used PCGS and I have their Silver membership(like an idiot). I have to wonder if they are not beginning to price themselves out of potential customers and out of the market. Eventually, they will need to consider the money they are charging repeat customers as opposed to casual submitters. It becomes a econmics issue for the company in my eyes. The fees that they are charging you seem to be a little excessive. -Dan
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I think the fee that bothers me the most is the handling fee. IMHO. -Dan
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I do not believe the variety attribution fee will be required if the overdate has a separate PCGS number.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The pricing seems very nearly insane.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not believe the variety attribution fee will be required if the overdate has a separate PCGS number. >>

I wasn't sure about that. Thanks, mnemtsas2.

It makes sense that they would set-up their pricing to make it worth sending a batch instead of 1 or 2 coins.

When submitting 1 coin to cross-over, cost per coin is $107.30 for Regular Tier.
    If you submit 10 coins, cost per coin drops to $60.23.