Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DGS coins....

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone still have any holdered in DGS?
I have 1 and am playing with the idea (it's a morgan in PL) of cracking and submitting to PCGS or sending in as a crossover (it's a MS63PL I think...I need to get it out of the SDB or get to my spreadsheet records to be sure). Nothing against the coin or DGS on this one, just sits like "duck, duck, goose" where it is the goose right now, with regards to the rest of the collection.
Since I am not a holder collector, I like some uniformity.

If you have crossed any of the DGS (non-problem) coins, please post a pic and the PCGS results...thanks image
(could be a very short thread image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if DGS is still holdering coins, but when they started out they were very conservative.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure if DGS is still holdering coins, but when they started out they were very conservative. >>

They aren't. They stopped a year or year and a half ago I think.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone still have any holdered in DGS?
    I have 1 and am playing with the idea (it's a morgan in PL) of cracking and submitting to PCGS or sending in as a crossover (it's a MS63PL I think...I need to get it out of the SDB or get to my spreadsheet records to be sure). Nothing against the coin or DGS on this one, just sits like "duck, duck, goose" where it is the goose right now, with regards to the rest of the collection.

If you have crossed any of the DGS (non-problem) coins, please post a pic and the PCGS results...thanks image
    (could be a very short thread image ) >>

I know what you mean, but your statement came off kind of funny.

Edited to add:
    If it's a tough date, disregard, otherwise it might be wise to sell it and purchase another already in PCGS plastic...

peacockcoins

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I bought a CBH graded by them just before they went out of business just to get their holder. Might be rare someday. (Only a F-15)
  • Options
    I have 1

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone still have any holdered in DGS?

(could be a very short thread image ) >>

I know what you mean, but your statement came off kind of funny.

Edited to add:
    If it's a tough date, disregard, otherwise it might be wise to sell it and purchase another already in PCGS plastic... >>

Yeah, guess it almost contradicts itself, unless you know the mania of people buying old "scarce" holders for a premium image

Nah, not a tough date at all...just an 1885-o PL morgan in MS63 I bought for fun, from a board member a few years ago, and it just doesn't fit in with our collection now and I may decide to sell in the future, so I think PCGS may be better for that.

Accurately graded? I don't think so. I think it is too conservative (I've seen worse in higher holders), which would be another strike. But, do I try to cross or do I crack and send in.

Not being a big time submitter, these are always the fun questions I ask myself in the few times this happens to me.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one and Herb's posted a picture of it.

Same cool serial #. image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1875-S XF-40 Twenty Cent piece in a DGS holder. It's properly graded and I have no plans to resubmit to anyone since I have no interest in selling it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1831 CBH in AU53 that was in a DGS holder, but I cracked it out for the set. It seemed properly graded to me.
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I like DLRC and have bought and sold quite a few coins from them but that holder was/is plain ugly. They should have crushed those holders IMO and come out with a nicer looking one.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...anyone here know of who was grading coins at DCG? Anyone noteworthy?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

A forum member was grading and attributing Lincoln cents for DGS.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So...anyone here know of who was grading coins at DCG? Anyone noteworthy? >>

Mike Ellis was a grader at DGS.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 1

Herb >>

Hey Herb.

I know who holdered that coin.

Got a poker game coming up, an hour drive, but I know you're game. BYOB of course. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless a coin were valuable, I would save the DGS slab since they aren't making them any more. Same with Hallmark slabs. As more and more coins are being cracked out of these slabs, they will becoming rare in the future. Like them or not, they are a part of numismatic history.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless a coin were valuable, I would save the DGS slab since they aren't making them any more. Same with Hallmark slabs. As more and more coins are being cracked out of these slabs, they will becoming rare in the future. Like them or not, they are a part of numismatic history. >>

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Bochi, did you ever cross your coin?
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some more I'll dig them out and post tomorrow
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a sweet die cap Lincoln in a DGS holder.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said I would, I had more but I crossed them to PCGS and sold them. Note the top left quarter label states it's a half dollar
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Found the grading to be conservative and I bought several examples off the DLRC auction site.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They graded one of my VAM discoveries, and I still have it. They were a little hard on my coins, IMO- I once got a submission back with 80% of the coins called 'lightly cleaned'. I don't generally disagree with TPG's about their grading, especially when it's conservative, but I did on these. A good number of those successfully crossed to problem-free holders at other services, but the rest were't valuable enough to try crossing.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zombie thread .... it's A L I V E !!!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Bochi, did you ever cross your coin? >>

If I recall, it has been a couple of years now, I cracked it and it graded at grade BUT without the PL designation.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, a 2 year old thread

alive again!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

<< <i>wow, a 2 year old thread

alive again! >>

And...sorry...but a final update from me...

I found my records. My memory was a little off. Morgan went from DGS MS63PL to PCGS MS61 (no designation).
    Coin was cracked out and submitted raw.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file