Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Nero Denarius

Finally got myself a Nero in Denarius form. Even though its "seen alot of history" & has some other flaws, I liked the portrait & it fit my budget for one perfectly.

Nero (54 - 68 A.D.)
AR Denarius
O: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P P, Laureate head right.
R: SA-LVS, Salus enthroned left holding patera.
3.3g
17mm
Rome Mint (67 - 68 A.D.)
RIC I 72, RSC II 320, BMCRE I 99

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that's probably the equal to (or slightly better than) the one I had in my old pre-2008 collection (also a SALVS denarius), but with somewhat better centering and a rounder flan. For a budget Nero, that's not bad at all! image

(OK, I had to go back and dig up the picture of that old one of mine, which I got from Michael S ("Aethelred").

The lettering on mine was more defined, the detail about equal, maybe, but mine was a bit more harshly cleaned with a scratch or two and yours does have a rounder flan, like I was saying before I fetched the picture.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine does have a small flan, its about the size of a very early U.S. half dime. Also my "Salus" running across is rarer then the one you had. Your old one looks in a bit better shape though.

Im happy with it.
  • Options
    Half dime sized? Geez. That's not a quinarius, is it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nope, I measured it with my capped bust dime and it was a barely bigger then that but smaller then a seated dime.

Doesnt seem clipped either.
  • Options
    Bust dime.

OK, yeah.

You said half dime in your first post. That would have made it quinarius sized, I reckon.

• Options
    PS- funny how much your ancient coin sigline banner resembles my love token one.

But that's not a coincidence, since I had yours in mind when I created mine.

• Options
    It's the size of a capped bust half dime. Your confusing me image

Cool sig, may update mine this weekend.