Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Foreign Gold Buying resources

I have been wanting to buy some older foreign gold that has numismatic value above and beyond the value of the gold content but I am less than a novice in this area. I know I want to buy NGC or PCGS graded examples and I don't have the cash to buy coins that are an ounce of gold or more so that rules out coins like 8 Escudo's etc. I am more interested in nice designs or pieces with a cool history behind them so coins dated from say the 1600's to the early 1800's would probably fit the bill.

I have looked at older ducats and of course escudos and they seem interesting enough and one could do worse then to add some "pirate gold" to ones' holdings. My ultimate goal is to continue to add different pieces over the next few years and while price appreciation would be nice...I know that the value of the coins I am able to afford will probably be driven primarily by gold prices and there is no crystal ball for that image

Are there any good reading resources online for these types of coins? Are there any good dealers you guys would recommend? Any coin type suggestions with cool designs (any country)?

Thanks

Comments