Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 UHR GRADING RELATED QUESTIONS. Answer if you can please.

I have a few questions about the grading of the 2009 UHR. I was looking at a few my father has yesterday and one of them is a MS69 and the he has a few others that are MS70. I compared it to the other ones he has and none of them look like nearly as nice as the 69’s finish. When you look at the MS69 it is MUCH more mirror like compared to the others which are dull. The front and back of the 69 is what I would say proof like. I have seen a few PL at shows and I got to say it sure looks it to me.

So here are my questions.

When they started grading these did PCGS use term PL from then beginning or was it noticed later on and added to the label automatically as more were graded?
If it was added to the label later on (after the discovery) is there any way I can send the coin back to PCGS and ask them to review it to see if it is in fact proof like?

Is there any way to tell when the coin he has was graded by the numbers on the label? I was thinking if the PL surface was discovered after the coin he has was graded I might have a chance at a PL label.

My theory all depends on when they discovered the PL surface. I have not a clue that’s why I am reaching out to the board for help on this one.

As for pictures I don’t have a camera good enough to get the shots but I am going to ask a friend to take some this week and will try to post them and see what everyone thinks (if its PL or not). Thanks in advance to all for helping me with this.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your premise is correct. I believe that the early coins were graded with no PL designation, but I don't know the dates.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Initially there were no PL desgnation to UHR, they introduced it much later (last year I think)

I've had a similar situation. I've had 3 UHRs graded early - 2 MS70 and one MS69. Oddly enough MS69 looked much more shiny than other 2 MS70s on both.

So I cracked it out and it came back MS69PL image.

So the cost for you to find out if yours is PL or not is about $100 - S&H both ways plus $30 grading (or re-grade) fee

If it helps my last MS69 submission was in Dec 2009 and cert number was 152120XX
  • Options
    I was thinking about cracken it out but I am REALLY worried I will mess the coin up. Could I just send it back to the in the holder and as for a review?
  • Options
    March 14, 2011 is when PCGS announced the change

PCGS announcement

Check your order history if you submitted before or after that date.

David
  • Options
    Thats the problem. My dad bought the coin graded but I know for a fact it was before March 11th 2011. Could I call PCGS with the numbers on the label and ask them when it was graded?

How much does the PL or DMPL add to the value?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roughly speaking, I believe the PL coins are trading around $350 more in that grade today. Taking into account the cost of grading/shipping both ways, sometimes it is easier to simply negotiate a higher price for the premium quality coin and sell it as is, even if it means leaving 5% or so on the table.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking about cracken it out but I am REALLY worried I will mess the coin up. Could I just send it back to the in the holder and as for a review? >>

Yes. It's called a "regrade". PCGS will crack it, give it a new look-see and grade, along with a new holder and cert#.

Their guarantee comes into play so if it downgrades a payment is made.

No, you cannot call with a cert# and find out when a coin was graded. You can check his online submission history, however (if he submits his own coins). Not sure it matters. Just do the regrade.
    Lance.

edited to say: I see he bought the coin graded, so no submission history to check. Doesn't matter if it was before or after the new PL designation. It will get a fresh look with a regrade.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now there wondercoin goes throwing a bunch of wisdom into the conversation........
  • Options
    I sent 2 into get regraded because they are most definitely PL .I mailed them out Monday July 2nd overnight via Express Service level.They arrived at PCGS on Saturday the 7th(they're closed) & were entered early Monday morning in their system.I called Tuesday & was told that they would be graded by the end of the week & here it is Saturday & the grades are not available on their site which is up & working.I paid for 5 day EXPRESS service but now sitting here Saturday morning with the thumb you know where that 3 weeks ago I mailed in my 4 coin voucher & received my coins back in a total of 20 day's!Do you think that it's the coin(UHR) which is holding a high value that I can't explain that's causing this cause WTF is gonna happen when they have to grade 100,000 SF Eagles in a month from now???Should I complain?Any input appreciated,,Thanks

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patience?

I don't have any, but I'm told that good things come to those who wait. image
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent 2 into get regraded because they are most definitely PL .I mailed them out Monday July 2nd overnight via Express Service level.They arrived at PCGS on Saturday the 7th(they're closed) & were entered early Monday morning in their system.I called Tuesday & was told that they would be graded by the end of the week & here it is Saturday & the grades are not available on their site which is up & working.I paid for 5 day EXPRESS service but now sitting here Saturday morning with the thumb you know where that 3 weeks ago I mailed in my 4 coin voucher & received my coins back in a total of 20 day's!Do you think that it's the coin(UHR) which is holding a high value that I can't explain that's causing this cause WTF is gonna happen when they have to grade 100,000 SF Eagles in a month from now???Should I complain?Any input appreciated,,Thanks >>

The FUN show in Orlando is in full swing right now. Grading turnaround typically slows down during the big shows because a number of graders are absent from PCGS in CA in order to attend the show and perform on-site grading. Patience is warranted...
  • Options
    Even when you're paying $50.00 a coin and then I'm on my 6th day & still no grade!!!WTF???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file