Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

q for byzantine coin experts....or at least who have a good reference

I have a byzantine bronze coin that I just cannot identify. Usually I can identify almost any Byzantine coin with the sources I have but not this one. It's a bronze about nickel size in diameter. It is NOT scyphate (bowl-shaped). On one side is a pretty standard Byzantine ruler, standing, front-facing and holding a staff or sceptor. The reverse is what's puzzling: shadowy but I see two figures. Smaller figure on left is facing sideways, holding up something to the taller figure on right (who I can't tell if is facing sideways or forward).

At one time I was convinced I saw a plate identifying it as a 1300s Byzantine bronz but since then have not found the pic I once thought I saw. Anyone able to identify this one as to century or better yet, specific ruler?

Comments

• Options
    oops-- accidentally bumped this up
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm clueless. You likely know more than I do about these. I presume you've browsed Wildwinds?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Hmmm never heard of Wildwinds. Online Byzantine resource?
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wildwinds, one of the best one-stop-shop website for identifying ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine coins.

From the Wildwinds "Sort Byzantine by Sear" page, we can see that early bronzes tended to have the large letter-numeral or a monogram on the reverse. The earliest coin matching what you've described is this one of Constantine V and Leo IV. There are others in the mid-period, such as this one of Constantine X, though in this case the single obverse figure is of Christ, not an emperor (distinguishable by the cross-shaped halo).

We'd need to see pics of your actual coin to help further.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    thanks for the help guys--i will check out that site.

But in the case of my two standing figures, unlike the pics on this post, at least one of the figures on my coin is facing sideways in the direction of the second figure (who may also be facing sideways but it's hard to tell).