Home Sports Talk
Options

the baseball MT. RUSHMORE...presidents day question...

so today on facebook i noticed that the MLB facebook page asked people who they would put on a baseball version of mt. rushmore, who would you add as most influential players managers or whatever for baseball?
basketball, hockey, football or suckor...er soccer?
my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2

Comments

• Options
    Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Sandy Koufax, and I guess Mantle.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Willie Mays and Cy Young
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente and Sandy Koufax.

Good for you.
  • Options
    To many, the Mt. Rushmore of baseball would be very biased towards previous generations. The Boomers would come out in full force and claim that all of the players from their youth were the best and players from today have no place on it.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth without a doubt need to be there. After that there are many candidates. I would pick Hank Aaron and Mickey Mantle. As far as prejudice against modern players when the time came to discuss them they would no longer be modern players. I think I heard that on the actual Mt. Rushmore one must be dead 25 years before they can be added.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, and Ted Williams
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Babe Ruth , Honus Wagner , Christy Mathewson , Ty Cobb
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Babe Ruth..........no reason to explain why

Jackie Robinson.......(or Branch Rickey), but Jackie would be better.

Roberto Clemente......great player who died doing charitable work helping earthquake victims. Would be the best representative to
    represent latin american players

Cy Young................... We'd have to put a pitcher up there. It would be an injustice not to.
  • Options
    In 1943-more than a decade before the Supreme Court outlawed school segregation and Rosa Parks began the Montgomery bus boycott-Branch Rickey, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers, embarked on an effort to recruit black ballplayers for his team, and in 1947, Jackie Robinson stepped onto Ebbets Field in a Dodgers uniform. Integration in sports led the way to a wider acceptance of the need for racial equality.
  • Options

<< <i>In 1943-more than a decade before the Supreme Court outlawed school segregation and Rosa Parks began the Montgomery bus boycott-Branch Rickey, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers, embarked on an effort to recruit black ballplayers for his team, and in 1947, Jackie Robinson stepped onto Ebbets Field in a Dodgers uniform. Integration in sports led the way to a wider acceptance of the need for racial equality. >>

yeah recently i saw a documentary on the subject and it said that not only should the first african americans in sports be celebrated but the whites who went out on a limbe to fight to get them on the field/court...
    my t-205's

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Ruth, Robinson, Williams, Aaaron
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    votes for Robinson, Koufax, and Clemente, but not for someone like King Kelly....interesting. Looks like Megatron was correct.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    babe ruth, mickey mantle ,nolan ryan, larry walker
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    babe ruth, mickey mantle ,nolan ryan, larry walker

==> huh ?

you mean:

babe ruth, mickey mantle ,nolan ryan, jeremy lin
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    I thought the purpose of this thread was for
    most influential, not best.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought the purpose of this thread was for
    most influential, not best. >>

correct....
    my t-205's

• Options
    if its most influential then you should put curt flood up there
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Andy Messersmith???
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rose yet. I know why he hasn't been mentioned, but still thought someone would have by now.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if its most influential then you should put curt flood up there >>

agreed. And if it's strictly influential you can sandblast Ruth off of that boulder and throw someone like Albert Spalding, Kennesaw Mountain Landis, or Marvin Miller up there as well. If you're going to put Clemente on that rock for what he did to popularize baseball in Latin America, then you have to do the same with King Kelly for what he did for the Irish/Irish-Americans since the Irish faced essentially the same treatment in professional baseball as African Americans did post Robinson/Doby's integration, and Latin Americans in the prior century including getting paid less despite being close to 25% better statistically as a whole during the league's advent to Ruth's era....and being excluded for managerial positions. Honorable mention to Bill James and Vince Gennero for revolutionizing stats in the game.
  • Options
    yeah the White Sox scandal never happened.

Good for you.