Home Q & A Forum
Options

schemes...?

Hello, folks,

So, I am new to this site and collecting in general. I have a question:

Among global collectors of valuable artifacts of any kind, there is a marketplace that determines value on any given item based on quality, rarity, etc. I am wondering if any collectors engage in supply value manipulation, and if this concept actually works, or if it does not actually work in the real world:

For example: Some theoretical collectible item is valued at $1000. and there are 50 known original copies of it in the world, held by different collectors. If one person were to simultaneously buy all 50 copies of this comic, at $1000. each and therefore hold the world supply, could he therefore set the price? OR - if he were to burn 49 of these copies, and hold the one and only original item in existence, would its value be more than the $50000 invested? Even if the buyer would pay inflated prices to the owners who are reluctant to sell, would the end profit be worth it?

Is this witchcraft? Do people engage in this kind of enterprise? Or is it all smoke and dreams? I assume this in not a new concept, there must be an established understanding of this scheme?

Thank you for your consideration,