Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

For bids here: sharp 1798 S-166 cent, AU-ish details, recently dug on GA site

This coin was recently dug somewhere near the Old Post Road in Glynn County, Georgia, by Bill Ridenour, an old metal detecting buddy of mine.

Bill has some dental expenses to take care of, so he's consigned it to me for sale here.

Here's the backstory and a ballpark appraisal poll I ran here.

This has got to be the seventh or eighth really sharp 1798 cent I've seen dug by my local friends. I'm insanely jealous. I have only dug a single Draped Bust cent, personally, and it was a crusty critter.

Bill's Old Post Road cent is not the equal to last October's S-166 found by his son Frank, but you can tell it was new when it hit the dirt two centuries ago.

Picture 1 is a scan, with no enhancements besides cropping. Here it is on the scanner bed, dust and warts and all.

Bill didn't like the look of those scans.

I agree- they make the coin appear far more granular than it actually seems in hand- but they do bring out the detail best.

Picture 2 is also a scan- the same images- but with something approximating the actual die rotation.

Picture 3 is a bigger 800x800 scan of the obverse.

Picture 4 is a bigger 800x800 scan of the reverse.

Picture 5 is a set of photographs I did with ladymarcovan's digital camera. (As usual, I beg forgiveness for my substandard photography skills.)

None of these images is ideal, but taken together, they should give you some inkling of what this piece looks like.

I'm putting this up for bids here.

Bill needs a minimum of $400 for it. I'll probably need $5-10 to ship it, without taking anything for myself or considering potential PayPal fees, etc. So let's consider that the minimum bid level.

Best offer received by midnight Eastern on Friday, February 24th will get this coin.

Current offer:
(none yet; minimum $410)

Current high bidder: (none yet)

If you PM offers to me and do not get an immediate reply, or do not see this thread updated right away, do not despair. If I step off the forums, I'll make a point to check in periodically and answer PMs in the order received, and update this thread accordingly.

PS- I'll throw in an incentive bonus. If bidding reaches or exceeds $500, I'll add a large butt plate from a Revolutionary War-era musket. This relic looks like (and essetnially is) a rusty piece of junk, but it's a rusty piece of junk with history. It was given to me by Richard Wajda of High Water Mark Relics (aka "GBurger717" here), and he personally dug it near Valley Forge, PA. It comes with his handwritten personal note attesting to its provenance.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no offer. I think the opening bid is fair, considering the outcome of the original appraisal poll on this.

Well, I did get one trade offer, but since this is not my coin, and its owner needs money for his teeth, I've gotta stick with "cash" offers.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. No takers. I might have to call Bill and see how he wishes to proceed, and whether or not he's willing to risk it all and throw this out there as a true auction on eBay. I was trying to spare him the unpredictability of that. We'll see what he wants to do, whether it's to take a chance on eBay and let the chips fall where they may, or take it back home with him and accept one of the other offers he said he got locally.

• Options
    at $410, I'll buy it.