Home Stamps Forum
Options

Anybody else here?

I'm a coin collector who's treading into stamps. It seems like slabbed stamps haven't really taken off yet, but I think it's a great idea for the condition rarities which I'm most interested in. I wonder if it will take off as much as it did in coins and cards?

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I would tread very carefully. As with coins and cards, there can be slabbed "perfection" with an accordingly high pricetag, and indeed, the item may be technically perfect -- but, if it's a stamp issued in the millions from the '30s or '40s, and many millions are extant and available for a dollar or two, always be sure to ask yourself if your item, broken out of the slab, could stand on its own merit. If yes and you like it at a certain price, then get it. But do be wary.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    I have culled through my collection and saved the best of the best...some of the classics like used 311's, E7's, Trans-Mississippi's. Most of them are used, which I think are tough to find in true gem condition. One of these days I'll get them slabbed.

I do agree with originalisbest...I've got no interest in searching for top pop-type stamps from the common issues.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    As well as slabbing, you can also just get PSE to issue a cert; I own one slabbed stamp (it's cool) but I think the impact of many such slabbed stamps would be overwhelming. Better for just the very special ones, maybe a nice threesome of Zepps, etc.