Home Sports Talk
Options

Tim Wakefield

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks for your dedicated service!

Always one of my favorite Sox players, good to see him not try and hang on.

Comments

• Options
    I hate the Red Sox but always liked Wakefield.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A classy guy who will be missed at Fenway. Unlike many, he knew when it was time to leave the stage. Hopefully Red Sox management will have a special moment for him at Fenway.

Thanks for the memories Wake !!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    He made one heck of a splash in his rookie year:

1992: 8-1 in 13 starts, 2.15 era. Including 4 complete games and a shutout.
    1992 NLCS: 2-0 in 2 starts (both complete games), 3.00 era.

His MLB debut was a 146 pitch complete game. You don't see stuff like that anymore.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Sad day but I'm so happy to see him get all of this attention. My dad and I talked to him a few weeks ago at a Florida Tech baseball game (yes, baseball started here weeks ago) and it seemed like this was the inevitable route...although he wouldn't admit it to us at the time.

Great career for a guy that holds all sorts of batting records for his college, was drafted as a first baseman, and mastered an insanely difficult pitch in order to fulfill his dream. Not only that, but he's used his star power to touch lives in both Boston and back home in Florida.
  • Options
    Class act. Knuckleballers are fun to watch too. Yes, Boston needs to give him a day, and consider putting his number up.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree there needs to be a Tim Wakefield Day at Fenway Park. His number doesn't belong up there with Williams, Yaz, et al.
  • Options
    as a Yankees fan, I'm glad to see him retire...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options

<< <i> His number doesn't belong up there with Williams, Yaz, et al. >>

Perhaps you're right, but he is behind Cy Young and Roger Clemens in wins for Red Sox pitchers, and
    he did play a big part in their two recent world championships.

I guess if they had a "class" Hall of Fame, then Tim would go in on the first ballot.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wakefield will not have his number enshrined in Fenway, nor will he make it to HOFer status in Cooperstown.

He is however a lock for the Red Sox Hall of Fame. Given the names of past inductees and the inclusion of Don Zimmer in 2010, no doubt Wakefield will be inducted in short order. If Jimmy Piersall can get in, Wake is a cake walk.

Given the antics of Zimmer with Pedro, and his dismal managerial skills in 1978 I am surprised the Red Sox would so honor him. Zimmer, when the manager in 1978 (then given the unflattering name of The Gerbil), this by Bill Lee and a group of players known as "The Buffalo Heads" single-handedly dismantled the Red Sox pitching staff and punished Bill Lee for his antics by demoting him to the bullpen. More can be read about Zimmer's 1978 by googling.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I guess if they had a "class" Hall of Fame, then Tim would go in on the first ballot. >>

without a doubt!