Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 Type One Buffalo I just picked up. (Clashed Dies?)

braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
This one arrived today:
imageimage

In examining the reverse I noticed what appears to be evidence of clashed dies right below the 'unum' but am looking for members here to venture and opinion. It looks like that word is underlined. (I checked a bunch of photos on eBay, looking for the same thing and didn't come across any other coin with these similarities.)
image
image

Comments

  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

    ...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a very common clashed die.

    Occurs on numerous Buffalo Nickel dates.....

    Some will show Clashing marks under the
    Indian's chin on the obverse; some are
    very strong, depending on the date.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my example on a 13 Type 1 with the same clashing Pat
    The whisker chin
    image
    image
    image
    image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd. Usually you can relate the clash marks.

    Assuming the dies were reasonably aligned (as it appears from the OP's photos), Indian's chin would sit squarely on top of UNUM. I can't see anything on the obverse that would cause those clash marks, particularly a horizontal line.

    What am I missing?

    Maybe I'll photoshop a clashed type 1 and post it.

    Nice old NGC no-line fatty!
    Lance.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Odd. Usually you can relate the clash marks.

    Assuming the dies were reasonably aligned (as it appears from the OP's photos), Indian's chin would sit squarely on top of UNUM. I can't see anything on the obverse that would cause those clash marks, particularly a horizontal line.

    What am I missing?

    Maybe I'll photoshop a clashed type 1 and post it.

    Nice old NGC no-line fatty!
    Lance. >>



    Upside down, backwards AND reversed Lance
    The Indians shoulder clashes with EPU

    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Odd. Usually you can relate the clash marks.

    Assuming the dies were reasonably aligned (as it appears from the OP's photos), Indian's chin would sit squarely on top of UNUM. I can't see anything on the obverse that would cause those clash marks, particularly a horizontal line.

    What am I missing?

    Maybe I'll photoshop a clashed type 1 and post it.

    Nice old NGC no-line fatty!
    Lance. >>



    Upside down, backwards AND reversed Lance
    The Indians shoulder clashes with EPU >>

    Ah...silly me. Thanks, John.

    That's a gorgeous Buffalo, BTW.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    Some will show Clashing marks under the
    Indian's chin on the obverse

    I bought one of those at a flea market years ago.
    A 1915...D..I think
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was something along these lines.
    I remember a few years ago at Long Beach Greg M showed me a 1937 or 1938 Buffalo that had a couple of letters below the Indian's chin- it was clashed so hard. He was dropping it off at NGC and David Lange talked him out of
    doing so as it was lightly circulated and not rare as such.
    Neat coin though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file