Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hammered Coin fans, new "unique" coin found (William I)

--- NEAT. doesn't look dug to me....amazing things are still being found and that not any other examples are known.

Link to article

A "unique" medieval coin from the reign of William the Conqueror has been discovered in a field near Gloucester.

The hammered silver coin was found by metal detectorist Maureen Jones just north of the city in November.

Experts from the Portable Antiquities Scheme said the find "filled in the hole" in the dates the Gloucester mint was known to have been operating.

The coin, which dates from 1077-1080, features the name of the moneyer Silacwine and where it was minted.

The Portable Antiquities Scheme said that until the coin was discovered, there were no known examples of William I coins minted in Gloucester between 1077-1080.

"The discovery of this coin therefore proves that the mint was in operation throughout the whole reign of William I," it said.

Ms Jones, who found the coin, is a member of Taynton Metal Detecting Club.

"I went out with two other ladies to an open field and that's where I found it," she said.

"I know it's a silver hammered coin but I didn't recognise the king.

"It's quite amazing."

Kurt Adams, finds liaison officer for the Portable Antiquities Scheme, said the penny coin would have been "quite valuable" at the time that it is thought to been lost by its owner more than 900 years ago.

It is due to be returned to Ms Jones shortly.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, my.

My, my, my.

Betcha anybody who's read the recent threads about me will be able to read my mind and tell EXACTLY what's going through my head as I look at this.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, my.

My, my, my.

Betcha anybody who's read the recent threads about me will be able to read my mind and tell EXACTLY what's going through my head as I look at this. >>

The fields of Europe are calling, LordM image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amazing part of so many British coins is that there are numerous examples of coins that so very few are known of because so many of them were lost. I can imagine it would have been the equivalent of losing $100 now, suffice to say I bet the previous owner was right devastated to lose the piece.

I do wish they had done a bit better on the cleaning of the coin, unfortunately it was rubbed harshly on the King's portrait.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The amazing part of so many British coins is that there are numerous examples of coins that so very few are known of because so many of them were lost. I can imagine it would have been the equivalent of losing $100 now, suffice to say I bet the previous owner was right devastated to lose the piece.

I do wish they had done a bit better on the cleaning of the coin, unfortunately it was rubbed harshly on the King's portrait. >>

The original owner might have indeed been (physically) devastated ..and lost the piece. Ever try to ride a horse at night under Bortle 1 conditions?