Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very Cool!! Huge hoard of U.S. Gold coins found in ceiling in France!!

Linky

Wish I could make a find like that!!

-Paul

Comments

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    SWEET
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wish I could make a find like that!! >>

Huh. Don't we all.

The numismatist in me would find it a real tug of war, though, because I would simultaneously want to sell it all and improve my lifestyle but also want to keep them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great! I cannot afford all of these surprisingly-new-to-the-market gold coin hoards. image

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey !!!, those are mine's.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. Will be interesting to follow same as it develops.

I find it amusing that the linked news article reporting on the story describes the coins as "Ancient", being made between 1851 and 1928image

I guess it is all one's perspective on things however. My kids think I am Ancientimage
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great! I cannot afford all of these surprisingly-new-to-the-market gold coin hoards. image

image >>

Yep.......blows all the population and condition and or rarities to hellimageimage

After thought.......they might melt themimage

• Options
    I think it is cool that the workers got half and split the rest with the owner of the building. Wouldn't shake out like that in the US
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow~!

That $980,000 value in the article is for melt not to mention any collector values of the hoard! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was the holder of any double eagles from that time period I would
    be trying my darnedest right about now to find the exact years of each piece.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that would rain down on me would be bat cra$p. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is cool that the workers got half and split the rest with the owner of the building. Wouldn't shake out like that in the US >>

In the US, if a treasure hoard is found on a property where the finder is not the original owner of the hoard then the treasure goes to the lawsuit's winning lawyers. image

How a similar find when down in the states...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Ya gotta be kidding me. Wow. How do you leave something like that behind?
  • Options

<< <i>Ya gotta be kidding me. Wow. How do you leave something like that behind? >>

WWII I would guess.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! These old coins just keep coming out of the woodwork, don't they? image

<< <i>Ya gotta be kidding me. Wow. How do you leave something like that behind? >>

There are many ways but the most popular is to die without telling anyone.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely Dreamy!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is cool that the workers got half and split the rest with the owner of the building. Wouldn't shake out like that in the US >>

True. Property rights in most other countries aren't as well protected as they are here.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the special designation on the holders already, along with the extra premium they would likely command.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang! These old coins just keep coming out of the woodwork, don't they? image

There are many ways but the most popular is to die without telling anyone. >>

Lots of wealth was left behind by European Jews who were forced to leave their homes during World War II and never returned.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is cool that the workers got half and split the rest with the owner of the building. >>

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>

True. Property rights in most other countries aren't as well protected as they are here. >>

Now if we could only figure out how to keep more in the clients hands and a little less in the lawyers.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    wonder if there are any true rarities in the hoarde?

rough guess the gold value is $850,000 ....they say $950,000

but if those grade they could be well over a million....maybe 2.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Linky

-Paul >>

I click on the link and it opens to a Google sign in page....???????image
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, here's a link to the same article on Yahoo!

-Paul
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hasnt europe seized, as a whole, things like this as historical property of the state lately?
  • Options

You die unexpectedly with out ever letting any one in on the location of your stash.

Lots of treasure still out there waiting to found. Newly abandoned stashes are created every day.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere it is written : "the diligent hand shall prosper". It's nice to see the truth reign,in gold.

Rainin' gold image (there's a pun there somewhere)
  • Options
    SpkrmakrSpkrmakr Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't mind a bit of cherry picking there. Can help but think there may have been a female in the mix to cause that many $20 gold pieces to be stashed in France at that time....Just an opinion....
    Spkrmakr
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Linky

-Paul >>

I click on the link and it opens to a Google sign in page....???????image >>

Yeah, it did that to me too....I refuse.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    No attempt made to contact the previous owner's heirs, it seems. (Contrast this situation with that of famous European artists whose heirs get a "cut" every time their great-great-grandfather's products are sold.) Property isn't property; it's finders-keepers losers-weepers.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    111 stacks.
    I wonder which years/MMs are missing.

• Options

<< <i>111 stacks.
    I wonder which years/MMs are missing.

image >>

You are assuming each stack is a particular year/mint.
    Those stacks might just have been done for this pic.
    Maybe there are a majority of New Orleans mint coins there. Might be a reason so few are found on this side of the pond.
    Imagine 350 of them are coins like the 1854-O, 1856-O and the 1859-O.
  • Options

<< <i>You are assuming each stack is a particular year/mint >>

No I'm not.
    Just wondering aloud.
  • Options
    A dream come true! Sometimes I do dream about finding hordes like this ... I think I must be crazy. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    I think there are three more in the attic that they missed.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    Wow, I bet there are some good examples in those stacks... amazing.
  • Options
    Gold coin hoards really get my blood up!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    10 more 1933's would have been hilarious!
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd tear the whole house apart, the yard, and maybe the neighbor's house too. Very cool!
  • Options
    I wonder how much if any Prohibition had to do with this stash? Was it as hard then to account for money as it is now?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg, that is a way nice haul.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As was remarked later...could you imagine if a 1933 coin ended up in there...and the Treasury DEMANDED it back!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing they did was clean them all.

bobimage

just kidding!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

You are probably right. In the US, the FBI would probably seize them and after 20 years in the courts and paying lawyers half of the value in fees the IRS would take half of the remaining value leaving the owner and workers enough to buy a case of beer.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    However, in all seriousness, if the former owner of that building was either killed in the war or dragged off to a concentration camp, this story might not actually be over yet (and finder's keepers would likely be largely moot)!
  • Options

<< <i>However, in all seriousness, if the former owner of that building was either killed in the war or dragged off to a concentration camp, this story might not actually be over yet (and finder's keepers would likely be largely moot)! >>

This is why so many good treasure stories never get reported.
  • Options
    ...or alternatively, a U.S. GI knew what he liked (kinda like us around here if we walked into a blasted building and there just happened to be some shiny stuff on the floor), started collecting some stuff he "found" and didn't get a chance to take "his" horde home!
  • Options

<< <i>...or alternatively, a U.S. GI knew what he liked (kinda like us around here if we walked into a blasted building and there just happened to be some shiny stuff on the floor), started collecting some stuff he "found" and didn't get a chance to take "his" horde home! >>

O.K., I didn't want to go OT replying to some early posts but RichR's comment prompts me to say that it is (his post) the exact story line of the documentary movie "Blood From a Stone", one of the most moving, powerful documentaries I've ever seen.
  • Options
    There should be a law that says that any lost treasure found should be split between the state and the finder and any claimants should just duke it out for the states portion unless it can be shown it is criminal money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file