Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Congratulations SULWAP for completing the '68 Set!

Mike P.,

I just noticed you completed the 1968 Topps Baseball set! Congratulations! I know that you are far from finished since I'm sure you'll still be upgrading. Keep up the good work!

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Congrats!!!image
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Grats! Amazing set to have complete
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    A nice accomplishment.....congratulations on a fine set!
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    That's a terrific job!! Well done!
  • Options
    Congratulations.

One of my personal all time favorite sets
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Congratulations !!! A great job ...... on a truly tough set....
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    SULWAP,

Welcome to the "Century Club". Your hologram membership card is in the mail.

Carlos
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Sulwap,

Great job! What set next????
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Congratulations Sulwap. Awewome set with a great set GPA. Would you consider letting us see what you have in the set? Job well done.

Buck

Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    Thanks for the congratulations. I figured it was time plant my flag in the sand and assume the crown for the 1968 set. I am sure it is just a matter of time for a few of you to pass me on the list. At least I can say I was the first.

I have been collecting 1968 cards since April of 1968 and have spent the last five years completing the PSA graded set which is in the registry.

As far as the question that was asked on these boards a few weeks ago, you can guess which 1960's set I think is the best.

Sulwap
    1968 Topps Pawlus Collection - First to Complete

Interested in Topps Baseball 1968-1975
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    SULWAP - Congratulations! ....We were both at the top of the '68 registy boards, and for the past few months, I was on top. Now I'm still at 70+% and you snagged the 100% mark. Very impressive! How did you quickly add the last 1/3? Did you have a high grade set that you plucked for grading?...jay
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Jay,
    The gentleman in Connecticut just completed the 1968 set too. He has all the variations also in a minimum of PSA 8. At last count he had 65-10's and 460-9's. All the rest are in 8. The last card? The Casey Cox variation in PSA8. The last regular card was Alex Johnson
  • Options
    He said when he has time he'll list the set on the Registry.
  • Options
    Bob, I ran across the '68 collector at the December Ft Washington show (the same show I saw you at), he needed a few '68's and saw that I had stacks of PSA graded ones (my dupes) and told me the make-up of his set. So remarkable and astounding, I thought he was yanking my chain, till a fellow dealer walked by and said it was all true. I hope he does join the registry, it would be a treat and privilidge to view the #'s...jay
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I think that Dude mentioned that '68 Topps collector a couple of times. It sounds like a real monster set.
  • Options
    The gentleman is a very good friend of mine and I'm proud to say I have contributed to the makeup of the set. Not only has he completed the set already in 8,9, and 10. He is almost complete with a second set all in 8. Hes also doing a 51 Bowman that is 70% complete in 4 months.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

If hes getting his cards off of ebay then the fellow set collectors probably well aware of this guy already...at least by his ebay name.

John
  • Options
    Oh yeah....I forgot....Congrats Sulwap on your accomplishment !!! Why are we talking about the Conn. collector on this thread anyhow...this is Sulwap's thread to shine!
  • Options

• Options
    Thanks again for the comemnts. John, the Connecticut guy does have a monster set and it will be just a matter of time before he blows me off the map. For now, I will bask in the glory of being at the top.

Jay, I had figured you would complete the 1968 regsitry first. You were growing at a steady clip the whole winter. I was watching you. I had originally loaded most of my 9's and 10's earlier this year. The final push was to add my 7's and 8's to the registry. I was a few cards short so I sent the final cards in and used the free grading program that PSA offers when you hit 90%. The cards were 6's and 7's but it put me over the top to get to 100%.

Sulwap

• Options
    John, I slowed down a bit during the last few months to concentrate on other sets that have caught my fancy, 65 Topps, 66 Topps, 64 Topps Giants, 60 & 61 Fleer baseball and '60 Fleer football among other projects. I also want to let all know that I am no longer collecting the '68 Topps set. I have 4 or 5 more cards to add which will bring me at .73% and then I will delete the set from the registry. An offer was made for 98% of my set and the transaction will take place next week at the Ft. Washington show. I enjoyed assembling the set, it was alot of fun picking up 1 here and 1 there. And submitting to PSA to fill in some holes. So the money generated from this sale will help fuel the fire on my other needs. It was fun knocking heads with you atop the leader board on the Registry, and once again congratulations on being the 1st to complete the set on the registry. I am surely aware of how tough that challenge is...jay
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    I take it that the monster set of 1968 Topps that was mentioned is the same set that is being listed now that has over 11% listed with a weighted GPA of 10.00. That is very impressive. Thats a lot of tens.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Krems,

That figures out to be 66 PSA 10's (11.04% of 598). Sadly, he's keeping the list private.

This must be the same gentleman, and I've dealt with him on many occassions and he's the classiest guy in the hobby.

qualitycards,

Sorry to hear that you are breaking up the '68 set. Good luck with your other projects.
  • Options
    Dan,
    Its the set. I think he wants to keep it private so no one knows what 9's he needs. I do know that the Mays, Aaron, and Mantle are all in 10. I also believe the rest of the set is being listed , and should show up shortly.
  • Options
    DUDE - Thank You! A chunk of the '68's came from you and will live on via another collector. Likewise w/ the '65's & '66's that i am currently assembling. Its a vicious cycle image ...jay
  • Options
    The British are coming, the British are coming!

The Revere set is now over 51% and still holding a 9.26.

Sulwap

• Options
    SULWAP,

It looks like our friend has grabbed the top spot. Wow! 90% complete with a 9.15 rating - that's amazing.
  • Options
    That really is incredible. He must have heard about the prestige of the Registry and the potential honors it may bring image.

Not to mention that one instantly becomes cool by registering image.
  • Options
    Well, my reign as 1968 King lasted a whole 8 days. My congratulations to the new King. Very impressive.

It is also good to see that there are now over 30 1968 sets registered. This has turned into a popular year. I expect that there will be more that will complete the whole set.

Sulwap
    King of 1968 - April 17 to April 26, 2002

• Options

That does kind of S*uck though...you work hard to build your set, then BAM out of nowhere a set is kicks you out of first. At least they could of kept you in first for a few weeks until the guy gets 100%...just out of respect for your outstanding accomplishment. There have been collectors on this board that have mentioned how "classy" the Conn. collector is, so Im sure he is not purposely trying to rain on your parade. Hopefully we will actually be able to see his amazing collection one day. My suggestion is that the registry institute an icon next to the collections that hit 100% first...something like "1st Complete" would be a nice touch.

Best of Luck on your next project,

John
  • Options
    I talked to "Revere" today. He hasnt decided if he is going to list the 8's or not on his set. I'm also trying to get him to let the set be seen. I saw the breakdown today its amazing the 10's he has. Mantle , Mays , Aaron, Gibson, Brock, to name a few. 66 10's and 474 9's and 58 8's. Also the McCormick WL in 8, and the Cox and Brinkman YL in 8.
  • Options

Gaspipe-

Do you know how long he has been putting the set together and/or the source of his cards (ebay,raw sets, etc.) ?

John
  • Options
    The set originally was bought raw in 1998 I believe. He submitted alot of those himself. Id say 50% came from Ebay and other dealers. I'm proud to say a good portion of the high#'s came from me. I even contributed 1-10 to the set. The Reds Team card. Dude also was a major source of cards for the set as many others. I met the collector through the guys at Memory Lane a couple of years ago. I first heard of the set from a dealer named Joe Delgrippo. Joe had the White Letter McCormick in 8. I wanted it but Revere out bid me for it. It was a year or 2 later that I met the set owner. He's one of the classiest guys in the hobby and has spared NO expense at putting this set together.
  • Options
    Sulwap,

I just noticed you are back in 1st Place on the Registry. Did upgrade more cards to pass him or is this a computer correction by CU?