Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Tough Too Do By Pictures but Grade These Merc's

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm Interested !! What do You Look for When Buying your Coins ? Net Grade ? Market Grade as All Slabbed Coins Are? Or Your Grade ?
    IMO the 3 Coins Pictured Represent 1 of Each to Myself. image

Comments

• Options
      I actually look at the coin, to make up my mind if is what the slab says it is, most I agree with, but do have my doubts on a few of them, going both ways (up or down).
      Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
    • Options
      CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
      What do I look for when buying? That's a no-brainer: "My grade" - In a perfect world, I'm sure we'd all like to be able to see our coins before buying them. I've viewed tens of thousands of coins in my lifetime,and consider myself a decent grader for the coins I usually buy. If I see a coin and don't agree with the grade, I simply pass. Haggling with a seller over the grade seldom works with PCGS or NGC coins.

As for grading your dimes, I'd give the '18-D an MS63 due to a weak strike (a 64 on a good day); with the toning on the '23-P, it's hard to tell if there are any marks, but it appears to be at least a 64FB; the '45 Micro S is a 64 or 65FB. I'm leaning toward 64, due to the dark spot to the left of the motto, and the tick below E Pluribus Unum; the haze is light and shouldn't effect the grade, IMO.

Jim
      Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
    • Options
      OK. I am Finally Straightened Out on how PCGS Grades Mercury Dimes per Thier Grading Guide that is. image
        Many Series of Coins PCGS grades by what the Market will bear. In the Mercury Series they Grade Mostly to the Technical Side. Dumb ME !!! I always thought a Standard Pertained to Everything.
          Oh Well its No Big Deal but Reading thier Book on Grading has Finally opened up some Questions I have had concerning Baggy Coins in Other Series that Grade Much Higher than "Our Sweet Little Lady" with a Minor Tick.
            Heck now I have TWO grading Standards to Go by. The ANA which I learned 20+ years ago and Now the PCGS I learned Today.
              And they Say a "OLD DOG CANNOT LEARN NEW TRICKS"imageimage
                Enlightened Ken
              1. Options
                DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken,

All three are nice coins. I first go by the grade given and then by eye appeal. If I don't agree with the grade there isn't really any need to go futher. I usually won't buy a coin unless it is high end for the grade. I think that coins that just make it are harder to sell if you need to later on.

The 18-D is a 63 to me. NGC would probably 64 it.

The 23 is a no brainer 64FB maybe a 65. I would have to see it. Like the toning.

The 45-S is 65 of 66FB.

By the way I am not picking on NGC. I have a 18-D in their holder as 64 that is 65 maybe 66. I doesn't have a mark on it. If it wasn't toned so nice I would send it in to PCGS.

I plan on catching you at Central States. Wish me luck.

Jon
              2. Options
                orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
                I agree with dimeman on the 18-D and 45-s plus the obverse of that 1923 is really lovely. I was tempted to go as high as 66 on that 1923 obverse but can't tell about the area around Liberty's eyes and the base of her neck. . But then the reverse of the 1923 seems to be weak in the luster department. It seems to have hairlines at 3 o clock unless that is in the "plastic."
                A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
              3. Options
                Come On some More of You Guys jump in here and Put a Grade on these things. I will say some Very Interesting Grades have been Posted for them. The Lines you see on the 23P on the Reverse is Die Polish.
                  Jon:
                    Much Luck to You in Your search at Central States.image Sure wish I could be there with You.
                      Ken