Home U.S. Coin Forum

Went to the Bellaire Coin Show in Houston on Sunday

This was my third time attending this show, and was pretty disappointed this time around. The show was Saturday and Sunday only, and was supposed to go until 3:30pm on Sunday. I arrived at 1pm and about half of the dealers were already gone or packing up their inventory. I was hoping to look for a few Lincolns that I could upgrade my business strike set, but there was next to nothing available. I ended up picking up some gold and silver just so I didn't leave empty handed.

I know at large shows like the Houston Money show that a lot of dealers pack up early because they are catching a plane home or to the next show. However, it is beyond me why half the dealers at a local show like the Bellaire coin show would leave halfway through the second day of a two-day show. It seemed to me like there were still plenty of customers walking around, myself included and I wanted to spend some money!
Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• I hit the local monthly show in Melbourne Florida yesterday and it was a Sunday only show that closes at 3pm. Unfortunately I couldn't get there until 2pm and by then multiple people were closed and within 15 minutes about half the vendors were starting to shut down. I felt like announcing loudly, "will you guys just sit still for 30 more minutes and give me a chance to spend the $2000 that I bought!?!" image

I've attended toy, comic, antique, gun, orchid, bird, and other shows that I've forgotten about and by far coin shows seem to take the cake when it comes to closing up early. I know time is money, but when you've already paid for your table I just don't understand why so many pack up early when buyers are still in the building. I can understand the, "I've already made my money so I'm leaving" mentality, but IMO dealers who pack it in are leaving something on the table.

*FWIW I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who has traveled across the state to set-up at shows (not a coin show though) so I realize how draining it can be.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never attended a multi day coin show on the last day because of the very reason you've stated.

I understand if you don't have the choice of days and have to go on Sunday, so be it, but if you can choose, definitely go the first day.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Joe

I've wanted to go this show several times, but it seems there's always a conflict (RV show this past weekend). How many dealers do you think set up Sat? Is it worth making in the fall?

Thanks
    Corky
    "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1990 I set up at the Memphis Paper Money Show, a three day event.

50% of my sales were on Thursday night during dealer set up.

40% of my sales were on Friday once the show had opened to the public.

10% of my sales were on Saturday.

0% of my sales were on Sunday.

Most shows are too long. Dealers are there to make sales, not to sit around while the nearly empty aisles of the hall are occupied by a few tire kickers.

All glory is fleeting.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll top you...we had a one day show yesterday, from 11:00-5:00...I stopped back in at 4:00 to pick up something I had eyeballed and EVERYONE was gone. They were actually putting stuff in their cars in the parking lot. People with 45 minute to 1 hour drives...poof!!! The show was very busy from 11:00-1:00 when I was there...so maybe they all made all they needed.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>Joe

I've wanted to go this show several times, but it seems there's always a conflict (RV show this past weekend). How many dealers do you think set up Sat? Is it worth making in the fall?

Thanks
    Corky >>

It's always worth going in my opinion, even this one although I was disappointed in the dealer motivation. I don't travel for coin shows, so the Bellaire Coin show a couple times a year and the Houston Money Show are really all I get. There is also another Bellaire coin show on May 5-6th if you didn't want to wait for the Fall one. I could be way off, but I'd guess about 50 dealers are usually there. Great place to pick up some bullion, looking for specific coins can be hit or miss. I usually try to pick up a small newp or two, but if it is something rare and expensive I may wait for the HMS.

Joe
  • Wow bummer. I live in Houston (Pearland) and didn't even know about this show. image Can you fellow Houstonians educate me on where these shows are advertised and any local coin clubs that you may be a part of? Thanks for the help.

Jacob
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow bummer. I live in Houston (Pearland) and didn't even know about this show. image Can you fellow Houstonians educate me on where these shows are advertised and any local coin clubs that you may be a part of? Thanks for the help.

Jacob >>

This is where I generally find info on Houston shows:

Coin Show Link

Houston does have a Coin Club, I saw them advertising at the Houston Money Show. A google search turned up this link for the Greater Houston Coin Club.
  • The local ones are the Greater Houston Coin Club, which meets tomorrow night, the Bellaire Coin Club and the Pasadena Coin Club. All of them host coin shows.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bellaire show is a fun show which they have about 4 times a year. Check the website of the Bellaire Coin Club for upcoming shows.

I have both attended and set up at this show and it has always been a poisitve experience for me. As a two day show I would urge you to come on the first day. Usually about 75% of my selling is done on Saturday. Then on Sunday I will look around the bourse for buys. There is always a nice selection of material.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

• << <i>I'll top you...we had a one day show yesterday, from 11:00-5:00...I stopped back in at 4:00 to pick up something I had eyeballed and EVERYONE was gone. They were actually putting stuff in their cars in the parking lot. People with 45 minute to 1 hour drives...poof!!! The show was very busy from 11:00-1:00 when I was there...so maybe they all made all they needed. >>

You make coin dealers look like a pretty unprofessional group. I've had similar disappointments attending shows.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Sunday, I'd rather go to my church, then home or out for a nice dinner. By 3 pm, I'm ready for a nap. I have family and grandchildren who look up to me and a coin show just doesn't measure up to that. While I have attended a few local shows on Sunday, even in my Sunday best, I don't stay long (less than an hour). I'll look for the familiar faces and then I'm out of there to enjoy what's left of my Sunday/weekend. Not 3 weeks ago, my brother wanted me to go with him to a show but I got word my daughter in law and gkids would be there and that's where I needed to be.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file