Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Beckett Monthly - Baseball Card Price Guide Issue # 1 - 1984 (Full Magazine Scan)

I thought this board can get back to the topic of cards and so Ive decided to scan the reprint of the first Beckett that was issues back in 1984. Ever wondered what some of your cards prices started at, look no further. Thought this was pretty neat when I picked this up a few months ago. BTW - The Micks 1952 card was first listed at $1,400!. That was still a lot of money back then. Remember, milk was cheaper, gas was cheaper and minimum wage was only at $3.35 and hour. Hope you guys enjoy image

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>BTW - The Micks 1952 card was first listed at $1,400! >>

With inflation, $1400 in 1984 is $3,030.94 today. That's still a steal!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    What I always find interesting when looking at old Becketts is the number of players listed. Then, players like Doug Decinces, Rusty Staub, and Dickie Thon were mentioned by name. I loved getting a new Beckett and looking up every one of the cards that I knew I would find in there.

I haven't seen a Beckett in many years, but even in the mid-90s, when they had to make room for hundreds of new sets and subsets, only the top rookies, Nolan Ryan, and Pete Rose were the only cards listed.

Thanks for the nostalgia.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Lol this is awesome. Dale Murphy rookie probably has the honor of the only rookie to go down!
  • we just sold the #1 issue recently...went for just $20 bucks...I thought it would bring more...

1984 Beckett Monthly Baseball Card Price Guide First Issue No. 1
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>we just sold the #1 issue recently...went for just $20 bucks...I thought it would bring more...

1984 Beckett Monthly Baseball Card Price Guide First Issue No. 1 >>

I remember when these used to push upwards of $100........I guess the supply and demand have finally met up

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    I hope no one was hoarding Dave Stieb rookie cards!
    Nikklos

• Haven't dusted this off in a while. From a 1967 edition of Burdick's catalog...

• Back in 1984 a '79 Bob Horner rookie card would cost you almost three times as much as a '79 Ozzie Smith rookie card.
  • Back in 1984 a '79 Bob Horner rookie card would cost you almost three times as much as a '79 Ozzie Smith rookie card.
    ==> true and I recall buying bert blyleven rookies out of common boxes...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that the whole price guide was only like 20+ pages. When card collecting was more simple. Its funny now if you pick up a price guide years 48-90 are like 5 to 6 pages and from 90 til present its like almost 200!!
  • Becketts today are so confusing. Its like I have to sit there sometimes for like 2-3 minutes to make sure Im looking at the correct list. Its not Becketts fault either. Card companies have become out of hand with all these different variation color cards, autos, auto reprints, bat, bat and auto cards, jersey cards, refracters, Venezuelen cards. Its just too much. I liked when they use to have a picture of a card from that particular set. Also how they use to have a card on the cover of the player that graced it for that month. They use to have card collecting tips and readers write was one of my favorites. Today, all that is gone. Now its all about money and grading cards to get more return for your buck. There magazines are nothing but advertisements. Card Collecting hobby days are long gone.
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Actually, the first Beckett Price Guide was a soft cover 1979 edition. Wonder what these are worth, because I have a couple.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say - don't have the first Beckett - I would say the oldest I have goes back to 1988.

As it goes for discussion - a few years ago I posted this letter from Charles Bray - one of the early greats in the hobby along with Burdick and Carter.

The letter goes back to 1958 and as one can see - he valued the Wagner at 25 bucks!!! image

Here's a cool pic of a great bunch of collectors: pioneers - really.

Mike
  • scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    1968 Ryan RC - $33
    1982 Ripken Topps - $5.50 This card is the most expensive non error card listed for the 80's.
    Also - another book that's nice to have in our collection? American Card Catalog - J. Burdick - 1960.

In his catalog - 52T high numbers - all - were booking at 30 cents!

edit: So this beauty that's on Rick's web for 60K would set ya back 30 or so cents in 1960?

Mike
  • Hank Aarons 1954 Topps Rookie - $150!

<< <i>Hank Aarons 1954 Topps Rookie - $150! >>

That would be a steal!
    Mike
  • This is one of the 2 price guides Beckett put out of biz! it happen to be the one that got card prices started. the other was CPU.

• 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan Rookie $34.

I wish I would have picket up a few back then.

Dave
  • Started collecting in 1988. When did Nolan Ryan's rookie start picking up steam? Was it around the time with 5000 strike outs and no hitters #6 & 7?

Noticed Pete Rose rookie was $350 on the high end. Curious if the entire betting on baseball never happened where his cards would be today?
    Working on 1971 Topps baseball set.

• << <i>
    1982 Ripken Topps - $5.50 This card is the most expensive non error card listed for the 80's. >>

Complete 82 TT set was only $12
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is one of the 2 price guides Beckett put out of biz! it happen to be the one that got card prices started. the other was CPU.

image >>

Ahhh.. CCP.. I use to love that price guide
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Started collecting in 1988. When did Nolan Ryan's rookie start picking up steam? Was it around the time with 5000 strike outs and no hitters #6 & 7? >>

It was about the Summer of 1989. It was a $650+ card by Fall of that year.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, the first Beckett Price Guide was a soft cover 1979 edition. Wonder what these are worth, because I have a couple. >>

Not to split hairs here, but Dr. Beckett submitted a price guide/market survey in several SCD issues in 1977/78, so one might argue those were first Beckett price guides.

I have them in my archives, in case you think I am lying!!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • When Maxx heated up Nascar cards, this is the first price guide I purchased.

Paul

• This 1988 Baseball Cards Price Guide has my favorite 3 card panel of Mantle's.

• << <i>Becketts today are so confusing. Its like I have to sit there sometimes for like 2-3 minutes to make sure Im looking at the correct list. Its not Becketts fault either. Card companies have become out of hand with all these different variation color cards, autos, auto reprints, bat, bat and auto cards, jersey cards, refracters, Venezuelen cards. Its just too much. I liked when they use to have a picture of a card from that particular set. Also how they use to have a card on the cover of the player that graced it for that month. They use to have card collecting tips and readers write was one of my favorites. Today, all that is gone. Now its all about money and grading cards to get more return for your buck. There magazines are nothing but advertisements. Card Collecting hobby days are long gone. >>

2-3 minutes, lol. I have had some parallel, diamond, prime, refractor, gold, auto, jersey, mirror, blue, colossal, materials, game-used, sparkle, squirrel, etc, etc that I gave up on trying to find. Sometimes I really can't find some of the newer cards and variations.

I use VCP, and EBay history, and that's what the card is worth give or take a few....
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"