Home Sports Talk
Options

2013 Winter Classic. Detroit vs Toronto

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well the worst kept secret is official. As a Michigan alum and Wings former season ticket holder I'm pretty amped about this. I believe they could sell 200.000 tickets for this. Heck the Leafs could probably sell 100,000 tickets for this event alone. MJ
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    Really looking forward to it. Should have the record for most people to attend a sports game in the U.S!!
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Will definitely be buying some tickets and making the drive down from Traverse. Should be a great event. I'll just have to keep reminding myself NOT to yell Go Blue.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    this will be a classic!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Going to be one heck of an old timers game too.

They will also probably schedule a minor league hockey game that weekend. I believe the Phantoms and Hershey Bears
    played in Philadelphia this year.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they should get Johnny Bower to drop the puck.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

I'm going to guess Mr. Hockey will be dropping the puck.
  • Options
    Mark Howe said Gordie may actually take a shift at the old timers game ( in spite of his slight dementia). MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is sure to be a great game!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>Mark Howe said Gordie may actually take a shift at the old timers game ( in spite of his slight dementia). MJ >>

Then instead of Mr. Hockey dropping the puck, perhaps he'll drop the gloves.image
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mark Howe said Gordie may actually take a shift at the old timers game ( in spite of his slight dementia). MJ >>

Then instead of Mr. Hockey dropping the puck, perhaps he'll drop the gloves.image >>

maybe he'll suit up and tally a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" for the second time in his career.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

I've dealt with Mark a few times concerning Gordie appearances up here in Traverse. The guy is probably going to charge someone a right nut to get his dad to show - ha. I once asked if Mark could get his father to donate a single small item, nothing specific, for our charity auction for Children's Miracle Network. He declined, but said he could arrange for his father to make an appearance for a couple hours... for 10K. I did say charity, dbag.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to divert from the topic, but I watch a lot of Old-time telecasts from the 60's on a specialty sports channel here in Canada, and the one

thing that shocks me is how little Gordie Howe contributed in many, many games I've watched.

I've watched Keon, Pulford, Beliveau, Hull and many others turn a game around, make many an end to end rush and at times, totally dominate the ice for a few minutes.

But I have NEVER seen games where Howe has been an impact player. Absolutely nothing.

Any thoughts from the old-timers?

edited to add: these games I've watched are usually (but not all) the playoffs and Stanley Cup games.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to divert from the topic, but I watch a lot of Old-time telecasts from the 60's on a specialty sports channel here in Canada, and the one

thing that shocks me is how little Gordie Howe contributed in many, many games I've watched.

I've watched Keon, Pulford, Beliveau, Hull and many others turn a game around, make many an end to end rush and at times, totally dominate the ice for a few minutes.

But I have NEVER seen games where Howe has been an impact player. Absolutely nothing.

edited to add: these games I've watched are usually (but not all) the playoffs and Stanley Cup games. >>

I'm not an old timer, but this is probably the first I've ever heard of Howe's lack of being an impact player. He may have not been quite as dynamic as a Hull or Richard offensively, but just based on some of the books/autobiographies I've read, it would seem as Howe may have been the toughest elite skill level player ever. Bobby Hull and Mikita have talked quite often about how hard of a hitter and how tough he was. There isn't any valuable resource on how good defensively players were back then, but about the only issue I'd take up about Howe is how many people seem to think he was this great fighter/pugilist. When in reality he had 21 documented fights in a 30+ year career....and if you breakdown his fight card, of those 21 fights, 18 were against players smaller than he was, 2 against players his equal, and 1 guy bigger than him - Lou Fontinato which is probably where his rep stemmed from as supposedly Fontinato was deemed one of the tougher guys in the league at the time of their bout. Allegedly Howe broke Fontinato's beak which I'm sure made a bloody mess...but what seems to get lost in that shuffle is supposedly/allegedly/reportedly Howe also came out of that fight with a black eye and two broken ribs. The well known site has Howe's fight card at 2 Wins - 7 Losses - 9 Draws & 3 undetermined.
    Howe also had one documented "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" which I'm sure second division guys the likes of David Backes, Dustin Brown, and Ryan Clowe have already surpassed in their relatively young careers.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to divert from the topic, but I watch a lot of Old-time telecasts from the 60's on a specialty sports channel here in Canada, and the one

edited to add: these games I've watched are usually (but not all) the playoffs and Stanley Cup games. >>

Probably has to do with the specific games you're watching.

Obviously, Howe was a big-time impact player though his biggest impact came in the early 50s as opposed to the 60s.

Tabe
  • Options
    Players learned to skate with their heads up because of Gordie Howe. He sharpened his elbows before every game.

Howe instilled fear into his opponents. He also filled the basket with biscuits.

I spent most of my childhood and teens in Canada playing. Canadians in general have an ax to grind with Howe. They love their beautiful Beliveau and powerful Richard and can't stand that Howe was better.

Howe like many old timers made no money playing. He was also duped as he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. The current Wings ownership helped as much as possible keeping him on an honorary payroll. Memorabilia sales and appreance fees is "how" he made ends meets. It is what it is.

My prized Howe piece. MJ

• Options
    Beliveau and Orr could skate end to end like Malkin.

Howe was more like Cam Neely.

Mike Bossy didn't "impact" games. He needed Trottier and Gillies.
    Howe needed his linemates like Bossy did.
  • Options
    howe can this all be true about gordie?

ok sorry everyone for the bad pun i will leave now lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2