Home Sports Talk
Options

Jeremy Lin

WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
The Golden State Warriors sign Jeremy Lin to a D-league deal last year. Several months ago they released him and Lin subsequently signs with the New York Knicks. Tonight he's the toast of Madison Square Garden after his third 20+ points performance in as many games. Leave it to the hapless Golden State Warriors to misjudge talent again. No wonder the Warriors haven't had many fans since the early 90's.

Rant over. Any thoughts on Mr. Lin?
Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more things change the more they stay the same for the Warriors.

Over the decades they have had so many players come and go. Many of the players that play for the Warriors and then leave [on their own or by choice of the team] end up becoming All Star caliber players.

However, regardless of the sorry state of the Warriors over the years, the team has some of the most loyal fans. Even when they are lousy they draw big crowds, including sell outs.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    who's running the show over there, now?

i know ther's new ownership...and hoping that blunders like Lin wouldn't happen. what did the management see or not see in Lin that lead ot his departure?

don't follow the day to day happenings over there.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I hope he plays well against the Lakers, Kobe was up to his usual douchebaggery when the media asked him about Lin. It would be great to see the Knicks win, but I would be happy even if the guy plays well and his team loses.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's got 22 points in the 3rd quarter. This kid is fun to watch! I love an underdog story like this!

Shane

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En Fuego!!!! image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THIRTY-EIGHT points and 7 assists. AND the friggin Knicks DEFEAT the Lakers! GO KNICKS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I didn't watch tonight's Knicks/ Lakers game but did I read the recap right? 38 points?!

Every basket he hits the Golden State Warriors management deserves one extra minute of strangulation.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Wow, Knicks win, Lin keeps rolling.

Lin 38 points, Douche 34
    Lin shoots 57%, Douche 38%
    Lin 50% 3's, Douche 20% 3's
    Douche 11/13 ft, Lin 10/13 ft
    Lin +8, Douche -4
    Douche 10 boards, Lin 4 boards
    Lin 7 assists, Douche 1 assist (lol)
    Lin 38 minutes, Douche 41 minutes
    Lin Steals 2, Douche Steals 1

I love this... and I hate Kobe Bryant.
  • Options
    I wear this shirt all the time:

LOVE,
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    He plays with an energy that I haven't seen in a long time. Did you see him hit some of those 3's?

He's going to be fun to watch this season.
  • Options
    lol, cool shirt but I think Kobe wears this one all the time...

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Are there any other Asian Americans in the NBA, or is Lin the only one?

I'm sure he's the only Harvard grad playing in the NBA!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    His card prices have shot through the roof lately.
  • Options

<< <i>Are there any other Asian Americans in the NBA, or is Lin the only one?

I'm sure he's the only Harvard grad playing in the NBA! >>

The New York Times says he is the only "pure" Asian American in the NBA. All the other Asian players in the NBA are from Asia. I could very be wrong but I believe he is the only one of his type (American or American raised of pure Asian lineage) in any of the four major professional sports today.

As an Asian American myself I know firsthand how much truth there is of the stereotype that Asian Americans are generally uninterested in sports. The New York Times wrote a good article about the subject a few years ago. Many Asian parents actively dissuade their childrens' participation in playing or watching sports, believing that sports impede studying and increases chances for physical injury. I very seldomly ever meet another Asian American person who watches and understands football, baseball, hockey or basketball as much as I do.

It doesn't surprise that many people that I watch or talk sports. The fact that my mom watches sports (especially football) does shock a lot of people though.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't help cheering for the young man. What a refreshing story.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>

As an Asian American myself I know firsthand how much truth there is of the stereotype that Asian Americans are generally uninterested in sports. The New York Times wrote a good article about the subject a few years ago. Many Asian parents actively dissuade their childrens' participation in playing

. >>

I see lots and lots of Asian-Americans taking figure skating and tennis lessons.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Then there was the guy who sold his National Treasures card long before this Linsanity: Story.
  • Options
    Warriors brass are sitting in their offices berating themselves and going "STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID".

If Jeremy Lin turns out to be more than a flash in the pan and becomes a starting point guard in the league, he could become the next Steve Nash or John Stockton. A point guard who runs the team's offense and who can shoot from the perimeter, who can dribble into the lane, penetrate defenses and pass to open teammates or score inside. If he can develop an offensive skill set that allows him to be a scoring threat and a player who makes his teammates better, he will have a long career. On the defensive end he is tall for a point guard (6'5"). If he can develop speed and quickness to allow him to not be a liability on the defensive end of the court. He could be a great player.

Assume that he develops the skill set to be a starting NBA point guard. Then toss into the mix the facts that:

1. he in not black;

2. that he an American of Asian descent;

3. he is a Harvard (Ivy League) graduate; and

4. he is open about his Christian faith

and you will have a player that will capture the interest and imagination of a wide range of people [far beyond just pro basketball fans]. He could be someone who ends up being a central character in the NBA's marketing efforts. He could also be someone who ends up having a large number of business opportunities [advertisements, spokesman, marketing, public appearances, product and service endorsements, etc.] presented to him.

Look how wildly popular Yao Ming was when he played. He was like a Rock Star celebrity around the world, particularly in China. No reason the same could not happen to Lin.

The Warriors play in the SF Bay Area, an area that has a significant and deep rooted Chinese and Asian population. Too bad that the Warriors released him. Had he stayed with the Warriors and played for them like he is now playing for the Knicks, the Warriors could have probably struck a deal with another team to trade either Monta Ellis or Stephan Curry for a quality big man that the Warriors have not had in decades.
  • Options
    Didn't these same Golden State Warriors once make a deal with the Boston Celtics that brought them the legendary Joe Barry Carroll for a couple of insignificant bit players (McHale, Parish)?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that thinks he could be HUGE...like top 10, 15 player in the league?

-He put up 38 points last night against the lakers....some guys never get to 38 in an entire career. For example, John Stocktons career high in points for a game was 34.

Nash's high is in the 40's.....and he's only played in 1,100 games. 16 seasons! Some guys never have a game that Lin had last night.

I hear his jerseys are rare....anyone in NY trying to buy them? The buzz on the street about him must be incredible in NY.
  • Options
    hey, if dantoni can't make it work lin and carmelo and amare, they should fire him...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Golden State Warriors sign Jeremy Lin to a D-league deal last year. Several months ago they released him and Lin subsequently signs with the New York Knicks. Tonight he's the toast of Madison Square Garden after his third 20+ points performance in as many games. Leave it to the hapless Golden State Warriors to misjudge talent again. No wonder the Warriors haven't had many fans since the early 90's.

Rant over. Any thoughts on Mr. Lin? >>

Daryl Morey, one of THE most shrewd GM's in the NBA, signed and released Lin in January. So you can't put this one on GS; NOBODY knew. Not even the Knicks.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Kid wins ANOTHER one. Rooting hard for ya Jeremy. Keep it up. Yes, your dream world IS reality!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I was following the game on yahoo sports and the raptors radio on tunein.com.

I couldn't believe the score....knicks down by 13 or 15 in the 3rd quarter. Then they came all the way back. Lin had a bunch of turnovers in the 1st half. The naysayers would have jumped on him if he finished with, 13 points and 8 turnovers or something. What a finish!
  • Options
    ok, 8 turnovers, but he's got guts !! reminds me of john starks alot
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    I watched the entire game start to finish.

27 points, 11 assists, 2 boards, and a steal... not bad!

He started the game looking kind of uneasy, with Amare being back he was trying to pass the ball away to teammates way too often and had a couple fumbles himself. It reminded me of Jason Spezza in the NHL, incredible talent but almost looks TOO much to make a pass instead of taking the lane/shooting.

The Toronto crowd was behind him the entire game. Knicks crawled back into the game (the Raptors were up by 17) and with a minute left Lin drives the net, gets fouled and makes the basket, huge play. He then hits the free throw which ties the game, the Knicks had been behind in the game since the 6th minute of the 1st quarter. Raptors go down the floor and miss the 3 pointer.

Knicks ball, 20 seconds left, game tied. Lin gets the ball stays at half court until 1 second left, takes a few steps forward, jacks a 3 pointer and hits it for the win.

Crowd goes nuts.

Knicks 90, Raptors 87.

Apparently, he has the most points of any player all time (since NBA and ABA merged) in his first 6 games (Shaq is now #2). If any part of my interest in him was curiosity after this game I am 100% a fan and will be pulling for him going forward.
  • Options
    I'm listening to the Knicks Kings game now on freqseek.com. You can choose either the kings radio or new york.

Just about tip off. That shot last night was crazy.
  • Options
    Speaking about the "legendary Joe Barry Carroll" of the Golden State Warriors, he and I went to high school together.

In my senior year I was the starting center on the schools varsity (17 year old, 6'6", 190 lbs senior). He was on the sophmore team (15 years old, 6'8" and about 170 lbs). I was an ok high school player and went on to play college ball at a small NAIA school. When JBC was a sophmore, he was extremely uncoordinated (due to him being so young and having experienced a growth spurt that had him reach 6'8"; his body grew but his coordination did not grow with it).

I graduated and left for college. JBC finished his sophmore year and the next year he was transferred to another school in the league (forced busing rules). So between his sophmore and junior year he grew another 3 or so inches [by his senior year I think he was 7'0"]. He put on some weight. He also played ball during the off season and his coordination caught up with his growth spurt. He became a very good player. His development continued and during his senior year he was a monster of a player. His skill set was phenomenal. He ended up being recruited by multiple D-1 schools and ended up playing in the Big 10 (Purdue if I recall). As a freshman he started at center and dominated. I remember seeing him play on TV against Indiana. He dunked over Kent Benson and posterized him.

In 1980 JBC was the #1 draft pick in the NBA. The Celtics took him at #1 and then traded him to the Warriors for Robert Parish and I think a draft pick that turned out to be Kevin McHale. Turned out to be a great trade for the Celtics. Not so much for the Warriors.

JBC played for the Warriors for many years. He had mad skills for a 7 footer. He made the NBA All Star team on multiple occasions. However, he never met the expectations that people had of him. He was called lazy and uninterested.

Unlike many NBA players, JBC did not come from a family mired in poverty. I do not remember if he had an intact home with a mother and father to raise him and care for him. However I do recall that his mother was well educated and well employed [a college English professor if my memory is correct]. I understand that JBC had/has interests that go beyond basketball and making it in the NBA. This is unlike many NBA players who are people who from an early age live, breath and are all consumed by hoops [too make it to the top in any sport most athletes have to devote all of their time and energy to same]. JBC apparently did not have the fire in the belly that many people wanted him to have.

The criticism of JBC was and is both justified and unjustified.

I always liked him and enjoyed watching him progress from the skinny, uncoordinated 15 year old high school sophmore to an NBA All Star.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great story about Joe Barry Carroll. Thanks for sharing. I didn't get to Purdue until 1985 so I missed him there, but as a former Boilermaker I watched and rooted for him. He was a really good player and had a very nice career, just not a no. 1 overall pick career. Another point that can't be overlooked is the fact that the Celtics had Larry Bird and I bet Joe Barry didn't play with someone of that caliber in Golden State.

In regards to Jeremy Lin, he plays it the game the right way which is why his teammates have jumped on board so quickly. As he showed in his last game, he will dish the ball more (13 assists) and do whatever to help his team win. If Carmelo shows the same attitude, this team could be interesting come playoff time. New Orleans is on tap tonight so lets see if they continue to take care of business. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I don't know much about basketball, but it looks like Lin has a lot of turnovers, more than anyone else in each of the games he's playing. Is that a problem?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know much about basketball, but it looks like Lin has a lot of turnovers, more than anyone else in each of the games he's playing. Is that a problem? >>

absolutely, but he's still among the league leaders in +/- since he's been starting, I find that a more telling stat. it encompasses his assists, rebounds, offensive presence, defense, and steals that lead to Knicks points in addition to the points he scores himself. guards will typically have the most turnovers but if he's winning the +/- game chances are so is the team and they are winning. his last game of 9 turnovers (i think he had 5 assists) and 26 points in plenty of minutes with a -8 rating and Knicks loss was probably his worst game (statistically) imo.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll have to see if he can play with Carmelo or will each try to be the go to guy and disrupt team play.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JBC was a fine player. Not a bad pick at all. But, trading Parish and McHale for him was WAY too steep of a price.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    :01.8 Dallas Mavericks DAL Jason Terry steals the ball from Jeremy Lin
    ==> only 1 linover in the first half today....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    I didn't watch any of it but Knicks win and it looks like Lin shouldered the load (Amare had 11 point and was a -18) to beat Dallas.

Lin 28 points, 14 assists, 5 steals, 4 rebounds, a block and 7 turnovers... +14 rating for the game.

The guy is hot.
  • Options
  • Options
    Now we know Taiwanese bro has definitely hit the big time...

Linning a Kardashian?

I guess it's a rite of passage for an up and coming NBA star. In any case, despite the Kardashian repuatation the vast majority of guys would if given the opportunity.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Jeremy!