Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Tarragona Siege 5 Pesetas

Saw the design a while back and its quite neat and simple. Anyone have any to show?

Comments

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    This sounds intriquing!
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always like siege and emergency issues. Don't have any examples to post, but if you like the Tarragona pieces, check out Salus Populi coins of the Palma de Mallorca, like the one below:

<< <i>In 1821, due to an epidemic that kept Palma de mallorca isolated, it was necessary to coin again. This special currency bears an appropriate legend: SALUS POPULI, which translates "For the good of the People" >>

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    If I didn't know better, Zohar was coaxing me back onto the forum....... These are not in my main focus but I couldn't resist the simple designs and "personality" of the crude dies. It was historically an interesting time for Spain with Napoleon's activities around the continent.

1821 - Majorca - 30 Sous/Sueldos
    imageimage

1809 - Tarragona - 5 Pesetas
    imageimage

1808 - Gerona - 5 Pesetas (1 Duro)
    imageimage
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I have tried to go for the Barcelona piece in a couple of past auctions and fallen short both times. It is missing the crude die work, but still carries the historical significance of the other pieces of this time period. Here is a sample from coinfactswiki:

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just had this one holdered.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.