Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

This guy left a ton of money on the table

1992 Donruss Super DK Sealed Set #1

1992 Donruss Super DK Sealed Set #2

The 2 sets sold for a whopping $60 total! I purchased the Ripken for $1,250! That is absolutely insane.

I did a little write up here on this set and my purchase.

Kevin
I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yet he sold THIS ONE for $500, with an even worse title. Head scratcher!
  • Options
    Good Lord my rare find is becoming less rare by the minute. Uggh...

Three Ripken cards all from one person! How many of these are there really if one person had three?

Kevin
  • Options
    The seller I purchased my card from has a different feedback number than any of the winners on the three auctions. So either there was a fourth set that was sold outside eBay or he has a different username he uses for buying. In any case, there are probably four of these things at least coming from one person.

Kevin
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    the '92 DK Supers are thought to be super rare and are at the top of many player collectors' lists. I've had my Butler for several years now, but would love to get another. I'm somewhat stunned at the fact that three complete sets surfaced and that two of them sold for so stinkin' little. Has anyone tried to contact any of the set winners?
  • Options
    I got some more information from the seller I purchased my Ripken from. Here is what I received from the seller this morning:

<< <i>Here is the sequence of events from the original seller of those two and a half sets:

$30/each for two sets -------> One of the original buyers flips it for a BIN of $500 that lasted less than 3 minutes on ebay to a big time baseball card buyer on ebay, the other buyer contacts me thanks to my original Ripken listing and I make him a blind offer of $2k for the set and he accepts. I actually offered him $1k for the Thomas or $2k for the set and he took the money for the set.

The original seller was contacted by the person that bought the BIN for $500 and agrees to list the remaining cards he has from a third set for $500 as a BIN.

My first Ripken came from a card shop in MN called Southpaw Cards. He bought the set from a dealer back in the early 90's and sold off the cards individually over the next 15+ years, with the Ripken being the last one.

I bought that Ripken prior to this whole sequence of events just hoping someone had the Frank Thomas from the same set to trade for it. >>

Based on that, it appears there were only 2 sets and a partial third set. He purchased his 1st Ripken earlier than this whole mess. So, in total, there were 4 Ripkens available in the last month.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I got my Butler from Southpaw, too. I've never seen another.