Home Sports Talk
Options

What is the saddest day of the sports year in the USA?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why today of course.

It is the first day after the Superbowl and the longest day from the opening of training camp for the 2012 NFL season; from the first preseason game of the 2012 NFL season; and from the first regular season game of the 2012 NFL season.

Until NFL 2012 starts up, all we have is hockey, college hoops, NBA hoops, soccer, WNBA hoops, the 2012 Olympics and that boring sport called baseballimage

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>30-3? great score of the rangers beating the orioles; and wes littleton getting a save. >>

And the best things about it was that the score was 5-3 in the sixth inning. Also, the #8 and 9 hitters had a combined 14 RBIs!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that day was depressing for us o's fans. i could tell you exactly where i was when i saw the score on my phone... terrible.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Seems football season is so much shorter than the other sports.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems football season is so much shorter than the other sports. >>

Because it is.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Lately there have been four each year for me, the two days after the Browns lose to Pittsburgh and the two days after they lose to Baltimore. I am really sad those days.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lately there have been four each year for me, the two days after the Browns lose to Pittsburgh and the two days after they lose to Baltimore. I am really sad those days. >>

Don't forget the two days after the Bengals kick their butt too.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Bengals don't count since there is no real personal involvement on my part....they didn't leave Cleveland for another city not do they wear Black and Gold....they are just another of the NFL teams that have taken part in the beatings each year since the Browns returned. It isn't sad when they beat Cleveland.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The day after the World Series ends.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why today of course.

It is the first day after the Superbowl and the longest day from the opening of training camp for the 2012 NFL season; from the first preseason game of the 2012 NFL season; and from the first regular season game of the 2012 NFL season.

Until NFL 2012 starts up, all we have is hockey, college hoops, NBA hoops, soccer, WNBA hoops, the 2012 Olympics and that boring sport called baseballimage >>

The day after the Super bowl is one of the best. Baseball can't start until Football ends.
    And like the proverbial phoenix rising from the ashes, 2012 marks the rise of the Kansas City Royals into baseball prominence again.image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with S-2.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It's funny but I am the opposite. To me the last two weeks are the most painful of the year for sports radio and I am so glad the Super Bowl is over. I am not a huge NFL guy, could care less about the teams most years (being a Rams fan) and thus the two week media frenzy is way over the top for my liking. Also, it's that much closer to March Madness which to ME is the best time of the sports year!
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Saddest day? Gotta say learning of what Mr. Sandusky has been doing for probably decades. I am haunted, disturbed and on the fence about Paterno.....

I like the random mention of the 30-3 Rangers/O's game! I could see them doing that at any time with the murderers row they have!! I like popping in that dvd and watching that game once/twice a year!
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    oh, heh... missed the point of the thread... sorry!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are actually TWO saddest days of the sports year:

The day before and after the MLB All-Star game. Those are the only two days all year when none of the four major league sports have any sort of game going.

Tabe