Home Sports Talk

Super Bowl commercials....

Was there any one better than the Clint Eastwood commercial for Dodge? Very nice!image
I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was there any one better than the Clint Eastwood commercial for Dodge? Very nice!image >>

I hate those Chrysler commercials, including this one, with a passion. They remind me of sale tactics utilized by alarm system salesmen and real estate brokers and recruit tactics used by religious extremists and cults: slick talk designed to evoke sentiment and emotion but offering nothing of substance.

That Eastwood commercial was all rhetorical pep talk for the weak minded and vulnerable, nothing more. Nothing about their product (features, value, fuel economy, etc.) was even alluded to in that whole minute the commercial ran.

The truth is Chrysler is a majority foreign owned company that builds the majority of its products outside of the U.S. (believe it or not Canada is not part of the U.S. despite what a lot of Americans think). So much for that false sense of patriotism they attempt to exploit.

Chrysler's parent company Fiat doesn't have much history in America so Americans aren't all that familar with Fiat cars. Ask anybody in Europe and Asia and they'll tell you in a nutshell, they're crap.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a house about 6 miles from Chrysler World Headquarters and about 4 miles from Borg Warner and Delphi and 10 miles from Lear. They almost closed Sterling Heights plant (about 20 miles away) but instead it is now getting a 960 million dollar retooling/make over and should be the largest Chrysler plant in the world in 2013. They have spent about 3.5 billion in the US since 2009 updating US production plants. They are the third largest employer in Oakland County right behind GM and Beaumont. I'm not the real slim shady. MJ

Anyways, I liked the Dorito's slingshot baby commercial the best. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>I liked the Dorito's slingshot baby commercial the best. MJ >>

Me too. That was great!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Vampire headlight commercial was my favorite..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • The commercials just seemed....to try too hard?

I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems like it was either a car ad, a jingle, oldies music, celebrities, or some kind of nostalgia for something.

What happened to beer ads? Aren't they suppose to be the mainstay of superbowl advertising? It seems like in years past, 1/4 of the ads would be beer or budweiser related.

I thought Madonna put on a great show. I wonder if she wishes she did the show earlier.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Madonna show was awesome.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I guess I am in the minority. I thought the halftime show was awful. I thought the ads were awful. Thank goodness there was a decent game to watch.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Chrysler.......made in canada. in my eyes still a ton better than China.

An off the wall comment.......As we have lost our hard core manufacturing.....that which won WW2...along with the blood and sacrifice of the greatest generation.....god forbide
    we ever will need those resources again ( car manufacturing plants ) I would like to think Canada would join out cause. We are locked in a bond and Canada has played its part in saving the world.

Undrestand the trickle down effect. No chrysler...no auto industry....econmoy in ruins.

As soon as the shadow of a figure was shown I knew it was Eastwood. That figure came from his movies. Somehow he should have had a S & W model 29 in his hand!!!!

Many of the other commercials were similar w/o a real substinance.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • "I know what you're thinking. Did he have six Chrysler lemons or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that this is a Dodge Magnum, the most troublesome SUV in the world, and a wreck in it would blow your head clean off... You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya... punk?!?!?"
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

• << <i>The Vampire headlight commercial was my favorite.. >>

+1
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Madonna show was awesome. >>

i don't remember a better half-time show. i loved it.

commercials: a few were good for a laugh but not one good enough for a "replay" on the DVR.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Halftime show? What halftime show? God bless the DVR! I have not seen a halftime in years. I normally skip commercials as well, but I made an exception for the Super Bowl.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madonna sucks....which could be why she is so popular.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• didnt know madonna could lip synch so well.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    of course she lip-synched (and pretty well) you can't get voice-overs and acoustics that way playing live.

all those commercial were live thoughimage