Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Modern and "Low Pops" discussion

A lot of people like to see, for example that (such and such card) in a PSA 10 slab is ONLY a Pop 3 for example.

When it comes to modern (post 1990) non rookie cards, is that PSA 10 really "rare" or is it more of a case of "nobody cares"

ive been thinking about this a lot lately

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    For modern cards I think it's just a matter of people not grading the cards. Example - the 1994 SP Red Holoview David Justice PSA 10 that sold for $905 last week. That card is tough but it just hasn't been graded with frequency. I'm sure a few more will pop up now that it sold for that much and the price will drop.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    perhaps if it is a parallel or short-printed serial-numbered card, it matters. But any base issue, it is the notion that no one cares.

Also, some issues [modern] are more prone to condition sensitivity. 1993 and 1994 SP, for instance, or refractor cards [with print lines].

2007 Topps, for instance, with solid black borders, is perhaps a shade tougher in gem mint.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of people like to see, for example that (such and such card) in a PSA 10 slab is ONLY a Pop 3 for example.

When it comes to modern (post 1990) non rookie cards, is that PSA 10 really "rare" or is it more of a case of "nobody cares"

ive been thinking about this a lot lately >>

I think the case for low pop commons and other non-rookie listed as "pop 3" or whatever is solely for the registry folks. There is some perception of rarity but for the knowledgeable it is a little of either no one cares enough to submit (no money to be made selling graded examples) or it is a condition sensitive issue. Discerning collectors know the difference. You can't blame a seller for trying to add value but "pop 3" means little for 95% of the auctions. However, for a select few condition sensitive cards of popular sets, and inserts, a low pop card can sell for big bucks.

The example; SP holoview red is not hard to buy raw in PSA 9 or 10 condition but will set you back 10-20X what a common would sell for. I bought 3 of these in the last year for my Puckett master set. Two graded 9 and one 10. I paid about $20-30 each. The PSA 10 is a pop 3 and one just sold a few days ago for $150-170, I think. If I was selling a key card that was needed by more than one player/set collector I would do anything that helps highlight my card's value, including listing as a low pop.

So to answer your question; 95% nobody cares - 5% rare.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I think it's the latter, that few care, therefore keeping the card from being subbed.
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I just submitted a 1980 Topps Darryl Sittler--despite the fact that Sittler is in the hockey HOF, it was ony the second one ever submitted. I'm not sure if this is a matter of hockey being a less popular sport, 1980 Topps hockey being a less popular set, or Sittler being a less popular player--or if it is a card genuinely difficult to find in submittable condition.
  • Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the nobody cares group. I can find unopened 1990's for cheap compared to hard to grade cards from the pre 90's days.
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just submitted a 1980 Topps Darryl Sittler--despite the fact that Sittler is in the hockey HOF, it was ony the second one ever submitted. I'm not sure if this is a matter of hockey being a less popular sport, 1980 Topps hockey being a less popular set, or Sittler being a less popular player--or if it is a card genuinely difficult to find in submittable condition. >>

Some of all of the above. The black scratch-off ovals on 1980 Topps hockey turn a lot of collectors off, and many hockey collectors prefer OPC anyway. Hockey's collector base isn't that large to begin with - many of the less popular HOFers have few people collecting them (and the 1970s stars suffer the most in that regard). And most collectors, even those who took care of cards, wanted to see player names on the front, and scratched off the black.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    i just counted, and 71 of the 163 Jeters in his Basic Set have a pop of 10 or less for PSA 10
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    For modern cards, I'd bet the bank that low pops are a case of many people not caring enough to submit. Except, of course, instances of scarcity by design, i.e., serial numbered x/500, etc. Anything late 70's and on, there's a lot of quality raw and unopened product out there yet to be slabbed. There are always exceptions, like 79's and 75 minis being viciously OC right out of the pack, and genuinely rare in high grade, but generally speaking I'd wait out expensive low-pop modern cards. As someone mentioned above, one noteworthy, eye-catching sale is all it takes for more premium examples to pop up almost overnight.
  • Options
    I've got 42 PSA 10 Ron Francis cards. Ron is a hockey hall of famer. Of those 42, 33 of them are Pop 1. So valuable, right? Nope. I submitted most of them myself, and in almost every case I am the only one to ever submit these cards. So, unless someone is specifically trying to collect the Ron Francis set (which ain't many), these PSA 10's are essentially worthless. I am guessing that to be a similar case to most modern cards. Unless it is some especially amazing player or set, the cards will have little value. Go look and see how many 1987-present regular issue Topps HOFers in various sports you can buy for under $10 on ebay. There are tons of them.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.