Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The article and obituary of John A Merz, the father of collecting NGC 2.1 slabs.

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
He was really the first and he was really a nice man. We enjoyed doing coins. He also did business with Julian and a few others. He was from Easton, MD.

I enjoyed our meetings in Baltimore. He became very sick with pancreatic cancer. Fortunately he had the foresight to sell his NGC 2.1 slabbed collection partly to me and the rest on Teletrade. His son was getting married and wanted to give them a lovely gift(s).

Every one of his NGC slabs stickered with CAC!

He was also the one that sold me the "put together" NGC slabs that was from two generations and was hoodwinked. But then so was I. But I kept it as an example of mismatched labels and plastic slabs. OK, THAT one did not sticker with CAC as I showed JA the entire assembly and took it apart for him. LOL.

He began collecting these NGC 2.1 slabs back in the early 1990's and was shocked how few of them remained. It egged him on to collect more.

May he rest in peace.

John A Merz (1933-2011)

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, Oreville. I never knew the man but can tell you cared for him alot. Good friends are few and far between.......
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I knew that he was ill and suspected that he had passed away. Very sorry that I am not learning of this until now.

John was a dedicated numismatist, collecting many things before he got involved with the scarce slabs, notably a collection of early half dimes comes to mind.

Always soft spoken and a gentleman, he will be missed.

RIP, John.image
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I actually bought the majority of my 2.1s from him!! He was a very nice guy. RIP.

-Paul
  • Options
    I have the complete list of his collection and we can reconstruct "his collection."

coinkid855. I had forgotten that we discussed your buying some of the NGC 2.1 slabs from him.

• Options

<< <i>I have the complete list of his collection and we can reconstruct "his collection."

coinkid855. I had forgotten that we discussed your buying some of the NGC 2.1 slabs from him. >>

Could you pm that to me? Or email?

-Paul
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2019 12:08PM

@oreville said:
    I have the complete list of his collection and we can reconstruct "his collection."

coinkid855. I had forgotten that we discussed your buying some of the NGC 2.1 slabs from him.

I don't think you ever sent me this. If you still have it, I can add this info to the spreadsheet, along with your 2.0's.

• Options

saving this thread from archives.

• Options

So, what's the pop on the 2.0 and 2.1 ??

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DontTellTheWife said:
    So, what's the pop on the 2.0 and 2.1 ??

there is either a thread and/or a link to a google spreadsheet for some public numbers.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pops are available on a 'search' here . .

Drunner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file