Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jim Prentice Electric Baseball Games - a Tribute to the Founder - Update Apr 5th

This is a long one - but if you ever played an electric board game? I think you'll find it interesting how they evolved.

It's a cold, rainy Saturday afternoon, with nothing to do?

No problem - just break out the Yoo Hoo, Oreo's and an Electric Baseball Game! Some of us remember it like it was yesterday. We lived and died by our triumphs...you're only as good as your last win.

Well maybe not? But, we took our games very seriously back then - whether it be Little League or a good game of stick ball. And, even if the weather Gods didn't cooperate - we found another way to channel that competitive spirit - a good game of electric baseball - after all, pride is pride - and we just wanted to win, win, win...

My focus here is particularly - electric baseball games designed by Jim Prentice - arguably the "Father of Electric Baseball Games."

In 1927, at the age of 17, Jim applied for his first patent on his invention - Electric Baseball - the first of its kind - ever. Though he didn't manufacture anything immediately, his games under a variety of titles and forms, would go on to a production run of more than 30 yrs!

Jim's first patent.

Little is really known about this guy and photos of him are non-existent on the net; other than a few bad copies from his later years.

I did - finally - find this photo of him on a game web - he received an award from the Association of Game and Puzzle Collectors:

After high school, Prentice attended the University of New Hampshire and it's understood that he temporarily sold his patent rights to Parker Brothers who produced the Electric Baseball Game below - the money he made probably went to fund his college education where he got a degree in mathematics.

This game was produced in the early 30s and is the first of its kind.

After college, Prentice landed a job for 14 bucks a week and was rather disenchanted and he decided to strike out on his own - which was a long shot - since it was during the depression.

He got into the game business with the help of his dad and his uncle (Arthur Dougherty) and started up the Electric Game Company. It eventually grew to 140 to 200 employees, occupying 80,000 sq. ft., on four floors at the Mackintosh Building at 109 Lyman St., Holyoke, MA.

Before they really got started, the war broke out - which interrupted his plans for a bit. Though, they did produce some games during that time. The company made tents and sleeping bags during this period and then went into full production afterwards - they produced numerous non-sport games and toys - but it's the electric baseball game that launched his career and company.

His early games were very simple - prior to WWII:

Here's a couple of early games:

The D02:

And the DD24:

Furthermore, he managed to get the rights from Parker Bros. to their graphics and he told the Union News that they produced 100 games at 5 bucks each in their first year. Back then his few employees got 35 cents an hour to assemble the games - that included Prentice.

After the first few games, they fell into a mode where all the boxes looked pretty much the same - with a few improvements each year - I don't have one of the early electric games:

Model B-4: was made from about 1938 to 1941 with some minor changes in the box graphics.

Here's my first early copy that I picked up - since one can play the game without a battery, I believed this was most likely a "war-time" edition. This was confirmed by looking up the patent number - which dated it to Dec. 15, 1942.

It is considered a Model B-4.

Prewar games used a battery and had lights as part of it’s operation – and thus more electro-mechanical vs. purely mechanical in nature. I'm guessing the war made it hard to get batteries - thus necessitating them to come up with an alternative to the earlier games.

In later years, the game changed very little – other than the graphics.

One smart move by the company was to advertise in comic books after the war – then the company took off. Important to note, they produced other games besides baseball – football – they also produced non-sport electric games like Tic Tac Toe.

These games were pure marvels! Just think – when other games employed a spinner, cards or dice to produce action, Prentice had the creativity to use battery electricity with lights to bring life to the game and stimulate the imagination of children in an era where just about everything was science fiction! One thing – I’ve never picked up one of these games in pristine condition – since they’re well played/loved.

Here's a couple of games I picked up - the 73B models - the first one I picked up on ebay - it was made around 1953 - the 2nd one I picked up on ebay is a variation - if you look closely at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions of the board - one has pegs and the other doesn't - the pegs would be used as runners on the diamond.

Model 73B - first variation:

Model 73B - 2nd variation:

The cover is the same.

A more recent pickup is this one – Model #514 – has a patent date of Jan 12, 1954.

There's quite a few more games in the file - I don't want to post them - but would rather post as I get more games - and will put them in perspective with respect to the history of the company.

In closing – as I said – very little seems to be known about the guy. Prentice said – “I was born an inventor” – which sure seems to be the truth. He was married for 55 years.

Also, he was a former president of the Toy Manufacturer’s Association and in 1993 he was presented the Abbot Award (now the AGPC) by the American Collectors Association, for his lifelong contribution to board games.

If anyone has any of these games or wants to add anything – please do. It took quite a bit of time just to put this much into perspective.

I've picked up quite a few games - like the one I got for a buck - but I'm adding this one to the tribute because I never knew it existed.

Let's start with the ad I posted:

Around 1950 Prentice came out with the Model 102 which uses household current. According to the game 'web' - they thought this model may not even exist - and the example of the game in the ad wasn't actually made? And this example (not mine) may be the "Varsity" model which was actually produced (lower left side of ad):

These new models appear to be Prentice's introduction of more expensive and elaborate games - the board is 4" thick.

Well - I just picked up this model - on the lower right is printed Super B and of interest - it resembles the model in the ad with the exception that it's "battery" operated - thus - perhaps - the "super B" designation?

The only source I have for info is on the game web - but I'd like to see what else is out there?

Also, sure would like to come across one of the really early games - especially the first one that was made by Parker Brothers!

*these types of articles are in my file an I'm hesitant to bring them out due to the fact that I know few can go the distance on anything like that - one thing one can appreciate? There's an awfully large amount of games out there! Keep in mind another very popular electric game series to include baseball was by Tudor - I don't collect them since the cover graphics are weak IMO.

The amount of nuance that these games present is off the chart - and no one has all the answers - we just keep searching and looking for something we haven't seen.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Awesome stuff Mike
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting write-up!

My wife has a few of the Tudor games in the basement; they were her brother's, and they've been in our house since she cleaned her mother's house out.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Great read Mike! As usual....

aconte
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, Mike! I owned and collected teams from Tudor's Electric Football when I was a kid, but I didn't know that Electric Baseball even existed! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I appreciate the passion you have for such games and the time you put into sharing with others on this message board. Keep them coming whenever you can!

Joe
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the post!
    Interested in any Favre stuff you have to offer. image
  • Options
    Those are in just incredible condition!!! Sweetness!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the kind words - I'd like to add to my own discussion - here's an addition.

This style box cover was used in the E120, 68-B, 48-B and the 63-B models from the 1940s - the illustrator was J.F. Kernan - and I found the artwork he did for the Saturday Evening Post:

As I had said - the amount of esoterica that is attached to board games runs deep, deep!
    Mike
  • Options
    Well, it's time to update my tribute with another game!

Electric Baseball Game - Model 66B - Jim Prentice - 1950s.

The lid is in OK shape - needs repair and there's all kinds of foxing. The graphics are more like the 30s IMO - but the board and it's mechanism is more 50s.

Not sure why they call it "senior model?"

The game board is typical to the games of the 50s - it takes a D battery - our 'contemporary' D batteries don't fit like the old ones - so good conductivity is kind of hard. I'm not a big fan of the mechanism but that's a minor thing.

For me - these are appreciated for their graphics and the fact that someone played this game over 50 years ago.

The instructions and equipment (parts) are on the reverse side of the cover - it's missing 1 screw eye - has both pegs (marks the outs) and has 4 of the 5 "men" present.

The red lights are scratched but not broken.

Thanx for viewing - I picked up this one for 20 bucks - very fair since the guy only charged me 3.50 for shipping! Very cool.

<< <i>Thanx for the kind words - I'd like to add to my own discussion - here's an addition.

This style box cover was used in the E120, 68-B, 48-B and the 63-B models from the 1940s - the illustrator was J.F. Kernan - and I found the artwork he did for the Saturday Evening Post: >>

Very cool write up. I have this same game. I picked it up a few years ago. It's very cool to see the other games. Thanks for posting
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Cool photos Mike, thanks for taking the time and sharing them.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool photos Mike, thanks for taking the time and sharing them. >>

Thanx Steve!
    Mike
  • Options
    Hi guys!

Haven't had an update to this game in some time.

Electric Baseball Model 504 - c1960s

The outside cover is average but the inside is super - looks like it was never played!

The game board is 12X17" and resembles the 505 and 517 models. There's a little resemblance to the '57 Ed-U-Cards game artwork.

I'm missing the instructions - and the reason why I like when the rules/instructions are on the inside box cover.

I've found most of these games to be well warn out due to usage - so this one is extra nice; I'll have to get with the "game guys" and see if I can get a copy of the rules.

My two favorite game producers are Jim Prentice and Ethan Allen - plus both produced games well into their later years.

This is an archived thread that I will always refer back to when I find something on Jim Prentice. Guys like Prentice and Ethan Allen were pioneers in the game board industry.

Thanx for viewing my update to this great pioneer to kid's baseball games.
    Mike