Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Poll regarding the Paperclip Project (deleted- the "nays" have it)

Edit: poll deleted. The "nays" have it. These were the results.

Should I be allowed to retroactively include a lucky forum trade in my ongoing trading game, even though it technically took place outside the trading thread? This poll is just to seek approval for that. Or should this trade and the ongoing trading game remain two entirely separate things?

Total Votes: 9

Yes. It was a forum trade, so what's the harm? Retroactively roll it into the trading game, as long as you send everybody the coins they're due.
3 (votes) 33.33 (%)

No. It's kind of "cheating" since it artificially inflates the results of your trading game.
6 (votes) 66.67 (%)

(The other poll options, like the neutral one, all got zero votes.)

Here's the first dilemma I've encountered with that. (Thankfully it is a happy dilemma.)

You see, I made a fantastic trade yesterday, which involved going from a zero investment to something worth probably $150+.

But this windfall of a swap happened outside of my "Paperclip" trading game. (Though still on the forums.)

To summarize briefly, I got an interesting coin in the mail as a surprise gift. It was a love token, and being a piece of hand-engraved exonumia, it has no published value as such. To ME it was a $100+ piece, though, for its unusual design and historical value.

Somebody else liked it even more than me- it was right up his alley- and he made me an offer that was even better than the $100 estimate I'd put on it. He would give me a five-ounce silver bullion coin, easily worth more than $150 just for the melt value.

I would like to send the person who gave me the surprise gift something in return, and I would also like to claim "credit" for this fortuitous trade as progress on my trading game. So I thought I would send the active "Paperclip" coin in play right now on to the person who gave me the love token, retroactively post the love token in the Paperclip game, and then follow it up with the 5-oz. bullion coin I'll be getting for the love token.

But should I be allowed to retroactively count this transaction as part of my trading game, is all I'm asking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Tough question, but I had to give it the old thumbs down. It wasn't technically a straight "paper clip" deal, and you know how some of these guys like to stress the technical aspect of a deal. So while I am happy for you on your good fortune, I think it's too much of a stretch to cross it over to the other trade thread.

It'll save a lot of explaining to keep them separate.
  • I think it should count.. In the end it was still a trade that made someone VERY VERY HAPPY!!!! image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Filthybroke may have a point, though. If I roll this trade into the Paperclip project, the profits from that 5 oz. silver coin (thank you, BTW, GBurger) will be tied up in Operation Paperclip for the rest of the year, and I could really use that capital right now for some other projects (like getting some of my Roman coins off to NGC).

Much as I'd like to claim the trading success, maybe it would be better to let Operation Paperclip advance on its own, incrementally, in baby steps, in the true spirit of it becoming a "something from almost nothing" venture.

And besides, Operation Paperclip just got unstuck. I got a PM a few minutes ago and I have just accepted Trade #5 there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. I won't fold yesterday's fortuitous trade into the Paperclip project. I'll leave it separate. Operation Paperclip will live or die on its own merits.

But while I still have y'all here, I have another question.

In the event of a stallout situation, like where I've had the same item hangin' for almost a month with no takers, is it OK for me to "sweeten the pot" and add to the lot in play, in order to move it... provided the stuff I put in didn't cost me anything?

(For example, the coin in play gets no lovin' and nobody seems to want it, so I add something worth an extra five bucks or so as bait, but the add-on cost me nothing, so it doesn't affect the bottom line, investment-wise?)

Or should I instead be forced to trade down in order to get unstuck from a less savory swap?

Just wondering what the ground rule on that should be.